ANOTHER LOR question...sorry:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaminOfMD>.<

Addicted Member...;)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I wanted to get a LOR from my Critical Reasoning and Writing professor b/c she can write an awesome one for me. BUT, she does not hold a PhD under her belt...only a masters. How detrimental is that? Should I still get it?

Also, I wanted to get another LOR from a business professor, but I don't know that I should. I have kept in contact with the professor and I know he can write a good one as well but I took his class spring of 99. That's a long time ago. Reason being is b/c my first 2 years of college, I had to go half-time b/c I had a newborn (started when my munchkin was 6 wks old) and I was working. Will that letter hold any validity?

What do you think?:)

Members don't see this ad.

My only non-science LOR was written by my folklore TA...it was cosigned by the professor. Didn't seem to hurt me.

btw...the TA only had her bachelors and was going for her pHD in folklore.

R U even allowed to get LORs from TA's? Cuz if that's the case, I built some pretty good relationships with a TA or two.

Folklore...was it interesting? What is that class anyway?:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dreaminOfMD>.<
R U even allowed to get LORs from TA's? Cuz if that's the case, I built some pretty good relationships with a TA or two.

Folklore...was it interesting? What is that class anyway?:)

It was a jock class. Half the ucla football team was in it. :D

There aren't any specific rules IMO about getting a LOR from the TA. Certainly it probably won't be as powerful as the prof. However I never really had a close relationship with a non-science prof at ucla. In my english classes, history classes, the only person i've known was the TA. I guess thats a failure on my part in not getting to know the profs.

If I were you I would avoid getting one from a TA if possible. One would be ok...I mean like I said...it didn't seem to affect me. Defintely do not get more than one. I think that would start looking like you only know TAs and have never done anything exemplary enough for a prof to notice.

Either way...if you do get a TA to write...make sure it is cosigned by the professor. At least its not just a TA thing and has an endorsement by the prof.

Folklore was a lame class. Basically anything and everything can be considered "folklore." There were a bunch of criteria they made us memorize that I forgot already. Graffiti in the bathroom is folklore. Its basically anything that can be passed down from generation to generation. There were a couple other criteria but i forget. I wrote my final paper on how the import racing scene(ie fast and the furious, hondas, nissnas, toyotas) was considered folklore. Fun class....just didn't seem to have any practical applications in life. Of course I never conveyed those thoughts to the profs or TAs. They'd kill me and probably wouldn't have written a LOR at all! :D

Good luck!

To the OP,

Get the recommendation from the lady with a masters. It'll be fine. If you can use ones from TA's, you can surely use one from someone with a masters degree.

Regarding the old class, I would try to get a more recent letter of recommendation, and only send the old one if you can't find anthing else. LOR's do have expiration dates on them and 4 years is cutting it.