Another LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physcigirl27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that people have asked this before but I can't seem to find it...I became pretty close, I guess, with one of my teachers for Calculus and I wanted him to write me a rec letter. The final was a killer so I ended up with a B in the class...I don't know if I should still have him write it. He is super passionate about the "right" people becoming doctors and wanted to write me a letter. But...I did get a B...
advice?

Members don't see this ad.

While I wouldn't generally encourage the use of a LOR when you got a B with the writer, if he is likely to be a strong advocate on your behalf and dwell more on your personal characteristics that impressed him, rather than your class performance,it would be reasonable to use the letter. A passionate letter is better than an objective recitation of facts any day. And face it, ten years from now, who will care about a B in Calc?

I agree with Stratego. I'd make it clear to the writer that you think it'd be great if his letter focused on your 'right person for medicine' traits, as opposed to the final grade in the class. If he seems amenable to this kind of letter, then go for it, but make sure he's got enough to say outside your actual class performance.