Another loupes question

Started by CRAZYTERP
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CRAZYTERP

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am sure this topic has been beaten to death already. I am not asking about whether to buy or not to buy, I already have them and made that decision long ago, and I actually like using them. My question for those out there is what focal length do you recommend. Currently mine are about 24cm seated and 30 standing for my working distance. I was told my one of my attendings that I should be closer and several others that I should be farther away. It feels good to me but not sure if I am missing something here. Does anyone have any input from their own experience?

Thanks,
Amit
 
who cares where others feel you need to be. If you feel comfortable reaching where you do with the loupes on while sitting or while standing, you have the right focal distance for you.

I don't care if you are 2 standard deviations outside the norm. If it's safe and comfortable for you and the patient, it's the right distance for you.
 
If it's safe and comfortable for you and the patient, it's the right distance for you.

I'm not even sure what mine are anymore. I put them on only for parotids and that's about it. I much prefer the microscope for everything else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't do thyroids anymore, but when I did, I didn't have any trouble seeing the parathyroids or RLN with my internal loupes. 😉

They are easy to see when attached to the thyroid specimen on the back table. Zing!