Another M4 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlumBob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a feel about what programs/how many programs I should be applying to. No geographic limitations, interested in staying academic for my career. Thinking either CC or cardiac for fellowhip.

Stats
Preclinical-1 honors, rest pass
Step 1: in 250-260 range
Clerkships: All honors (School has H-HP-P system). Honored my anesthsiology career elevetive.
Class rank: Top quartile
Senior AOA
Step 2: TBD
Extracurricular: Very research heavy, numerous pubs (not in anesthesia) and poster presentations (some related to anes, most not related). On my schools anes interest group board for 4 years.
LOR: Med department letter (probably generic), 2 from anes attendings that I have known for a long time.

Are programs like Mayo, Duke, MGH, and Hopkins out of reach for me? I am also strongly considering programs like Cleveland Clinic, Case Western Northwestern, UChicago. Right now I have 20 programs that I am applying to. Do I need more (ie in the 30-35 range)? Guidance appreciated.

Inb4 someones tells me to not to apply to anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to get a feel about what programs/how many programs I should be applying to. No geographic limitations, interested in staying academic for my career. Thinking either CC or cardiac for fellowhip.

Stats
Clerkships: All honors (School has H-HP-P system). Honored my anesthsiology career elevetive.
Senior AOA
Extracurricular: Very research heavy, numerous pubs (not in anesthesia) and poster presentations (some related to anes, most not related). On my schools anes interest group board for 4 years.
LOR: Med department letter (probably generic), 2 from anes attendings that I have known for a long time.

Are programs like Mayo, Duke, MGH, and Hopkins out of reach for me? I am also strongly considering programs like Cleveland Clinic, Case Western Northwestern, UChicago. Right now I have 20 programs that I am applying to. Do I need more (ie in the 30-35 range)? Guidance appreciated.

Go to one of the top academic institutions in the geographic region where you would like to practice in the future. If you apply to only the top programs make sure to put a few back up places with strong programs that you would like to attend, but don't go crazy. Your application is probably more in line with a more competitive specialty. As long as you don't have a major personality disorder or an arrest record you will end up at a top academic institution (especially if you truly don't have a regional preference).

Your stats are in the same ballpark as mine when I applied last year. I got heavily recruited at Stanford, MGH, UCSF etc. and I matched to my top choice. So really, it would be overkill to apply to more than 15 or so places (unless, like what gobears said, you are personality disordered or have a criminal record).

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely agree with above. You will likely get interviews nearly everywhere you apply. Really put some thought into what area of the country you want to be in. And 20 programs is more than adequate assuming you do not interview terribly! Even then it would prob be fine :)

To be honest, with your stats and the heavy research with lots of pubs thing the places you're looking to go won't only accept personality quirks etc, they'll be expecting them. Obviously, as others have said, barring some unmentioned huge red flag, you'll go where you want.

If you're truly already seriously considering cards/CCM you should go to a place that has both, and anesthesia presence in the ICUs. That will help you in more ways than you know right now.

Oh, and of the few you mentioned Duke and maybe MGH are the ones you should look into. I wasn't that impressed with Hopkins, seems to live off its undergrad rep, and I also wasn't that impressed with CCF for residency though it's almost the unquestioned #1 for Adult CT (some would argue Duke). I'd leave Case off your list unless Cleveland is your primary goal.

Stats
Senior AOA

Apply to 15 programs. You can interview at 10 and then will match at your number 1 or 2 program. It really is that simple:

1. B and W
2. MGH
3. Duke
4. Mayo
5. Northwestern
6. Univ. of Chicago
7. Wash U
8. Hopkins
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. Michigan

Feel free to apply to 5 more programs but you won't need more than 10 interviews.

Thanks for the advice. Which of the programs mentioned above would be best for CC in terms of having good fellowships?

Thanks for the advice. Which of the programs mentioned above would be best for CC in terms of having good fellowships?

Seriously? They all have good fellowships. Duke's Critical Care program offers in depth training for TEE and is one of the few which provides enough education as part of the fellowwship to sit for the advanced TEE exam. So, you could do hearts and/or Critical care after that 1 year program. Wash U also has an excellent critical care department as does MGH.

http://anesthesiology.duke.edu/?page_id=818043

http://anest.wustl.edu/criticalcare/fellowship_overview

http://www.massgeneral.org/Anesthesia/education/fellowship.aspx?id=207

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Dep...wships/CriticalCareFellowshipInformation.aspx

Last edited:
Stanford:

Combined 2 year ACCM and Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology (ACTA) Fellowships:
Two years of training done after completing the CA3 year at an approved anesthesia program. Both Critical Care Medicine and Cardiac Anesthesia Fellowships are completed.

Note: The Combined ACCM and ACTA Fellowships are NOT currently in the Matching program (Applicant must apply separately through both programs and SF matching processes). ACCM applicants can follow the application process above.

Please contact Karlee Joice at [email protected] to apply to the ACTA program. Please be sure to check the combined box on your SOCCA application when submitting to ACCM. The ACTA fellowship is required to use the Central Application Service (CAS) system for application submission and is separate from the ACCM program application process. Instructions for the CAS can be found on the SF match website under the ACTA fellowship registration website.

Seriously? They all have good fellowships. Duke's Critical Care program offers in depth training for TEE and is one of the few which provides enough education as part of the fellowwship to sit for the advanced TEE exam. So, you could do hearts and/or Critical care after that 1 year program. Wash U also has an excellent critical care department as does MGH.

http://anesthesiology.duke.edu/?page_id=818043

http://anest.wustl.edu/criticalcare/fellowship_overview

http://www.massgeneral.org/Anesthesia/education/fellowship.aspx?id=207

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Dep...wships/CriticalCareFellowshipInformation.aspx
Not accurate. Anyone can sit for the basic or advanced TEE exam. But you will not be able to obtain advanced certification in TEE coming from a CCM fellowship. A cardiac fellowship is required. I was able to get the basic cert and even that was a huge pain in the ass.

Not accurate. Anyone can sit for the basic or advanced TEE exam. But you will not be able to obtain advanced certification in TEE coming from a CCM fellowship. A cardiac fellowship is required. I was able to get the basic cert and even that was a huge pain in the ass.

What's accurate is that the Duke CC fellowship will teach what you need to know to pass the advanced TEE exam to become a testamur. For the vast majority of institutions that is sufficient to do Cardiac anesthesia including valves.

I know they changed the rules about who can become TEE Certified but again, the testamur status combined with Board Certification in Critical Care is more than enough IMHO to practice Cardiac anesthesia in 99% of private practices and 90% of academic institutions.

Not accurate. Anyone can sit for the basic or advanced TEE exam. But you will not be able to obtain advanced certification in TEE coming from a CCM fellowship. A cardiac fellowship is required

Correct, and ONLY at ACGME-certified fellowship programs. SCA website has a full list (all go through SF Match). Only way you can take the Advanced through CCM is if you do a combined CT/CCM fellowship - those are typically either outside the match or through SF Match via CCM as a way to increase CCM interest. There are very few truly "combined/integrated" fellowships and many more 1 year followed by another year.

What's accurate is that the Duke CC fellowship will teach what you need to know to pass the advanced TEE exam to become a testamur. For the vast majority of institutions that is sufficient to do Cardiac anesthesia including valves.

I can't speak if the Duke CCM program actually does this, but a huge disadvantage is that you cannot take the exam regardless of how good the training is. Looking at academic and private practice openings now, a fellowship trained and Advanced certification (or at least eligible) is required for CT Anesthesiology positions. That being said, out in the community a general anesthesiologist can definitely do basic hearts without a fellowship (but even those may be decreasing).