another manual dexterity question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobalt31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so! i was wondering what some of you people thought about pen spinning.

I can do some of the stuff on there, and I think that's a pretty good example of being dextrous! What do you think? Application worthy?

Members don't see this ad.

oh sure, forgot about that one!

I was asked in an interview once to demonstrate my manual dexterity right then and there! Practicing pen spinning for hours during math class certainly paid off!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I already do that all the time... but I can only do it clockwise! I need to work on my pen spinning skilzz

DGDDS, i was just wondering..what school asked you to demonstrate? I think thats really funny.

its always math class isn't it...

but would any of you actually mention it on your application? i think i would feel weird doing that! even though i do think its a good example of dex.

If I was reviewing an applications and saw pen spinning, I would laugh thinking its a joke. I think it is a desperate attempt to fill in a section if you are lacking an actual skill in dexterity. You don't want any part of your application to seem unprofessional, and doing that would, in my opinion, be a slap in the face. You can be completely unskilled with your hands and still spin a pen.

Maybe bust out in the middle of your interview with some pen spinning.. just BAM!

Put it in. If they thought guitar hero was perfectly acceptable then I don't see why pen spinning should not be.

this might SOUND stupid, but what about computer games. specifically FPS games. there is alot of hand eye coordination involved, plus manual dexterity.
also the fact your using tools (controller) to manipulate objects in virtual reality.

*waits to get flamed :) haha

i ended up leaving it out. and i didn't mention that i'm sick at guitar hero too :p it just doesn't seem like a professional statement to include on an application. even though i think both are excellent examples of dex