Another Med School in Florida!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_late_MD

Ready To Jump
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This link is for the report submitted to the Florida Board of Regents for the new Florida International University School of Medicine.

http://health.fiu.edu/

Holy cow! University of Miami, University of South Florida, University of Central Florida (circa 2007), Florida State, University of Florida, and possibly FIU? That would make 6 med schools in this state. I was planning to move out of the path of the hurricanes, but I don't think there is a better state to live in for future med students.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have florida residency, or a chance to get it, you would be a fool to give it up.

little_late_MD said:
This link is for the report submitted to the Florida Board of Regents for the new Florida International University School of Medicine.

Holy cow! University of Miami, University of South Florida, University of Central Florida (circa 2007), Florida State, University of Florida, and possibly FIU? That would make 6 med schools in this state. I was planning to move out of the path of the hurricanes, but I don't think there is a better state to live in for future med students.

FIU med will pass fo' sho' it's just a matter of time.

Oh and BTW there is also Nova southeastern osteopathic medical school And Lecom Florida

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they were trying to get a medical school at FAU as well. My understanding was that the purpose of the Miami @ FAU program was to get the basic science infrastructure in place so when they expand Boca Community Hospital they can apply for accreditation.

drgoodlove said:
I thought they were trying to get a medical school at FAU as well. My understanding was that the purpose of the Miami @ FAU program was to get the basic science infrastructure in place so when they expand Boca Community Hospital they can apply for accreditation.

U of M has indeed a pilot at FAU under its name and it teaches the first 2 years. The last two are back at JMH.

When will we know when FIU is passed? They said they want the first class to be 2007..do you think that will happen??

The FAU program is awesome by the way- fantastic facilities, and cool people.

But when I was there visiting, I asked about their spinning off to be a new school, and they said those plans were way in the future.

No fair! :mad: My state (NC) only has 4 med schools, but Duke and Wake don't really count because they have no residency preference (as far as I know). So that leaves two state schools.

I shouldn't have moved from Florida in 1987. :( Didn't have much choice, since my parents moved, but still.

We all need to draw up some petitions and get more med schools established in the US. Especially state schools. Who's with me? :idea:

UCF med school? What is circa 2007? Also I want to mention that like California, Florida happens to have a lot of premeds. So entry into any of the schools tends to be pretty competitive, just check the avg MCAT and GPA for UF and USF.

exigente chica said:
When will we know when FIU is passed? They said they want the first class to be 2007..do you think that will happen??

There is a fairly good chance that it will pass. There is no public med school to serve the South Florida area now (excluding the FAU/UM program), and as the web site explains, there are constantly unfilled residencies down here. The population is growing exponentially, and the supply of doctors just cannot grow fast enough. There is already a committment to the UCF med school, and think that to deny the funding for a school down in South Florida would spur a bit of backlash. But really, who knows? They don't call the governing bodies of Florida a Banana Republic for nothing.

tacmrage said:
UCF med school? What is circa 2007? Also I want to mention that like California, Florida happens to have a lot of premeds. So entry into any of the schools tends to be pretty competitive, just check the avg MCAT and GPA for UF and USF.

UCF has just recieved a grant of over $50 million dollars to begin construction of their med-school. They have already been granted preliminary approval of their program, and hope to gain final approval by the end of this year. They plan to enroll students beginning in 2007.

little_late_MD said:
UCF has just recieved a grant of over $50 million dollars to begin construction of their med-school. They have already been granted preliminary approval of their program, and hope to gain final approval by the end of this year. They plan to enroll students beginning in 2007.
That is really awesome, seems Florida is doing something about the need for more med schools...

hmmm...what would be FIU's teaching hospital? Kendall Regional Medical Center? <shudder> But overall it's cool to see the state expand like that.

Hurricane95 said:
hmmm...what would be FIU's teaching hospital? Kendall Regional Medical Center? <shudder> But overall it's cool to see the state expand like that.

Maybe, which is really not a bad choice, lots of good medicine at Kendall regional. However, nova already sends its students there. Word has it that the new Jackson health hospital in Homestead is going to be multiple times bigger than JMH. Perhaps that's what they are aiming for.

Both schools (UCF and FIU) pitched their cases today before the Florida Board of Governors, but no vote was made for final approval. The next BOG meeting is in January, and they should have a final decision between now and March. The points of contention that are preventing a quick approval are all relating to money and use of state taxpayer funds.

Go Knights!

Nova is absolutely amazing.

Yea I currently attend FIU. The Board of Governors met today with our President and Provost and many others. Still havent heard anything yet about it. Im really anxious. We have 3 hospitals very nearby, Kendall Regional, Miami Childrens Hospital, and Baptist Hospital. FIU has more money up front to start their Med School than does UCF.

GO PANTHERS!!!

little_late_MD said:

If the proposal is approved when would FIU start their first class? I think UCF said something on the lines of Fall 2008.

Doctormo24 said:
Yea I currently attend FIU. The Board of Governors met today with our President and Provost and many others. Still havent heard anything yet about it. Im really anxious. We have 3 hospitals very nearby, Kendall Regional, Miami Childrens Hospital, and Baptist Hospital. FIU has more money up front to start their Med School than does UCF.

GO PANTHERS!!!
go blue and gold :thumbup:

i was a panther too :cool: