Another new optometry school!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imemily

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mass. Pharmacy readies Worcester optometry school
Pharmacy college names deans, picks Lincoln Square location

one_pixel_transparent.gif

http://a.collective-media.net/jump/q1.worcester/be_news;sz=300x250;click0=;ord=[timestamp]?" target="_blank
i

bilde

Dr. Daum
» Enlarge photo

bilde

Dr. Walls
Enlarge photo

WORCESTER — The Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences announced yesterday that it has hired a leader and found a home for its new school of optometry.

Dr. Lesley Walls, who is coming to Worcester from the Southern California College of Optometry, will be the founding dean of the program.

Dr. Kent Daum, from the Illinois College of Optometry, will be vice dean.

The school will be at the college’s Lincoln Square Living and Learning Center, the former Crowne Plaza Hotel, which the college purchased in 2010. Capital improvements for the school of optometry will include an on-site optometry clinic, research space, administrative offices, faculty and staff offices, and an optical dispensary. The Lincoln Square center houses 200 students.

Dr. Walls served most recently as president of the Southern California College of Optometry. He is the former dean of optometry at Pacific University in Oregon and at Northeastern State University in Oklahoma.

“As we continue to expand into more health sciences, we are thrilled to have a world-renowned optometry expert leading this effort,” said MCPHS President Charles F. Monahan in a prepared statement. “The United States is a rapidly aging country with only 21 accredited optometry schools, and there is a real opportunity here to help fill the increased demand for eye care.”

The four-year optometry program will begin in August 2012, pending accreditation, with 64 students at each level.

Along with an increasing population, Dr. Walls mentioned changes in access to health care as reasons to start the program.

As founding dean, Dr. Walls will be responsible for developing the college’s optometry degree program on the Worcester campus, including oversight of the accreditation process, hiring faculty, planning the curriculum, and establishing clinical affiliations.

“MCPHS is known worldwide as a health care leader that continues to identify demand and build programs to match up with those needs. A new optometry school is a perfect example of that,” Dr. Walls said. “The opportunity to develop a program from the ground up is incredible. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Dr. Daum most recently served as vice president and dean of academic affairs at the Illinois College of Optometry.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes...I guess back then it was just announced, so there was uncertainty that we would even have another school.

But, now that they have hired deans, its more so a reality. I'm not sure if Virgina will be opening a school.

I think, if we counted by every thread exclaiming something to the effect, "New Optometry School Announced — :eek:!!!" there would be ~eighty hundred and fifty, by now.

I think, if we counted by every thread exclaiming something to the effect, "New Optometry School Announced — :eek:!!!" there would be ~eighty hundred and fifty, by now.

I would be willing to give an extra $2 to 3k a year to AOA if they could successfully work to close about 5 schools.

Donate to AOS

So where are we at now with new schools? Is the following list complete? What's the "newest" school prior to these ones?

Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry
Midwestern University Chicago College of Optometry
MCPHS University School of Optometry
University of Pikeville – Kentucky College of Optometry
University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry
Western University of Health Sciences College of Optometry
And Maybe UNC Pembroke

Is this real? What are the entering class sizes? In what year did they each begin accepting their first classes?

Reactions: 1 user