cdea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
Status (Visible)
Just wanted to say hello and that I find the topics on this board very informative and motivating. I’ve been away from these boards since 2005. Also I will apologize right away for my ignorance or misconceptions about the field of Optometry in case I write something that may cause tension.

I am a very non traditional optometry student / hopeful. I got my Bachelor Degree in Business MIS from CSULB in 03 and took the easiest route possible as I thought that would be the extent of my education. Since then I have been working in the IT field full time for a few companies. About 2 to 3 years ago I decided to look into other career paths, mainly something in the medical field, and Optometry is the most appealing to me. I have always been afraid of science classes, paying student loans after school, taking the prereqs in time to apply within a year because of my age, fear of Wal-Mart’s and Costco’s taking over the profession etc etc. All of these deadlines and factors kind of got me discouraged so I ended up just sticking with work hating my job from time to time.
I now have decided to go back and continue working towards becoming an Optometrist. I plan to work on my prereqs at my own pace to get the grades since I need to take just about all of them instead of trying to rush the work. Unfortunately during my undergrad I took the easiest route possible which means my GPA is not the greatest. Maybe 2.3 or 2.5 if I can remember. I am sure this will hurt my chances of getting in and I am hoping that getting better grades on my prereqs will carry me into a school. I plan to apply at SCCO or Western since I am from socal and will be getting married in 2009 as well.

I have chosen the field of Optometry because I have always been interested in the visual system and it can lead to a comfortable yet balanced life style. To me helping people to see more clearly sounds very rewarding. I used to love going to get my eyes checked because it meant that I would get a new set of glasses and I could see much better. Until I got lasik of course since I hated contacts.

Would it be to early for me to talk with a counselor at these schools to maybe get advice in planning an education path to get accepted?

Am I totally out of my mind and should look into other professions?

Sorry if this is long winded.

Thanks

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.