Another Non Traditional Optometry hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello and that I find the topics on this board very informative and motivating. I’ve been away from these boards since 2005. Also I will apologize right away for my ignorance or misconceptions about the field of Optometry in case I write something that may cause tension.

I am a very non traditional optometry student / hopeful. I got my Bachelor Degree in Business MIS from CSULB in 03 and took the easiest route possible as I thought that would be the extent of my education. Since then I have been working in the IT field full time for a few companies. About 2 to 3 years ago I decided to look into other career paths, mainly something in the medical field, and Optometry is the most appealing to me. I have always been afraid of science classes, paying student loans after school, taking the prereqs in time to apply within a year because of my age, fear of Wal-Mart’s and Costco’s taking over the profession etc etc. All of these deadlines and factors kind of got me discouraged so I ended up just sticking with work hating my job from time to time.
I now have decided to go back and continue working towards becoming an Optometrist. I plan to work on my prereqs at my own pace to get the grades since I need to take just about all of them instead of trying to rush the work. Unfortunately during my undergrad I took the easiest route possible which means my GPA is not the greatest. Maybe 2.3 or 2.5 if I can remember. I am sure this will hurt my chances of getting in and I am hoping that getting better grades on my prereqs will carry me into a school. I plan to apply at SCCO or Western since I am from socal and will be getting married in 2009 as well.

I have chosen the field of Optometry because I have always been interested in the visual system and it can lead to a comfortable yet balanced life style. To me helping people to see more clearly sounds very rewarding. I used to love going to get my eyes checked because it meant that I would get a new set of glasses and I could see much better. Until I got lasik of course since I hated contacts.

Would it be to early for me to talk with a counselor at these schools to maybe get advice in planning an education path to get accepted?

Am I totally out of my mind and should look into other professions?

Sorry if this is long winded.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.