Shane41

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
269
0
Status
pretty sure primary alcohols are oxidized easiest. I dont even think tertiary can be oxidized
 

jackbauer!

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
1,703
4
West of MLK
Status
Dental Student
the answer is D.
 
About the Ads

Uracil

Member
10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
366
0
Status
Pre-Dental
allstardentist said:
the answer is C. My guess is because of steric hindrance. Anyone have thoughts on this problem?
I think aldehydes are the most easily oxidized because they can be oxidized by many oxidizing agents compared to others?
 

dental#1

Fla DDS
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
62
0
44
Status
Pre-Dental
allstardentist said:
Which of the following is most easily oxidized?
A. R—COOH
B. R2C=O
C. R—CHO
D. R2CH—OH
E. R3C—OH
I also agree that the answer is C. 1st it is an aldehyde and 2nd there is no steric strain. Answer A and B are Carbo acids so they are there ruled out.... C,D and E are all primary alcohol however, D is attached to 2R sub. on the Carbon and 3R sub. on the Carbon for E. Hope this clears it up!
 

jackbauer!

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
1,703
4
West of MLK
Status
Dental Student
dental#1 said:
I also agree that the answer is C. 1st it is an aldehyde and 2nd there is no steric strain. Answer A and B are Carbo acids so they are there ruled out.... C,D and E are all primary alcohol however, D is attached to 2R sub. on the Carbon and 3R sub. on the Carbon for E. Hope this clears it up!
C is an aldehyde, D is a tertiary alcohol, and E is a quaternary alcohol.

gl with the dat,
jb!
 

tom_servo_dds

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
244
0
Status
Pre-Dental
jackbauer! said:
C is an aldehyde, D is a tertiary alcohol, and E is a quaternary alcohol.

gl with the dat,
jb!
C is an aldehyde, D is a secondary alcohol, and E is a tertiary alcohol. You name alcohols based on the carbon substitution. So if it's an alcohol attached to a tertiary carbon, it will be a tertiary alcohol. Amines on the other hand are named based on their own attachments, not the carbon that they may be attached to. So a Nitrogen with two attached R groups will be a secondary amine, three attached R groups, tertiary amine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol#Primary.2C_secondary.2C_and_tertiary_alcohols
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amine

FYI, B is a Ketone, not a carboxylic acid. Tertiary alcohols can be oxidized, but resist it.

Best of luck!
 

dental#1

Fla DDS
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
62
0
44
Status
Pre-Dental
I am so sorry it was late! B is a ketone my bad. I guess I better get on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

jackbauer!

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
1,703
4
West of MLK
Status
Dental Student
tom_servo_dds said:
C is an aldehyde, D is a secondary alcohol, and E is a tertiary alcohol. You name alcohols based on the carbon substitution. So if it's an alcohol attached to a tertiary carbon, it will be a tertiary alcohol. Amines on the other hand are named based on their own attachments, not the carbon that they may be attached to. So a Nitrogen with two attached R groups will be a secondary amine, three attached R groups, tertiary amine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol#Primary.2C_secondary.2C_and_tertiary_alcohols
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amine

FYI, B is a Ketone, not a carboxylic acid. Tertiary alcohols can be oxidized, but resist it.

Best of luck!
sorry that's what i meant. the answer is still D, a secondary alcohol is the easier to oxidize than an aldehyde.
 

dental#1

Fla DDS
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
62
0
44
Status
Pre-Dental

issa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
561
0
Status
good question. i learned something new.
 
About the Ads

jackbauer!

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
1,703
4
West of MLK
Status
Dental Student
allstardentist said:
The real answer is C not D according to kaplan.
think about it.... the less a compound is oxidized the easier it is to oxidize it....it's pretty common sense.

jb!
 

slayerdeus

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
61
0
Status
Pre-Dental
I don't think you get it jack. All-star has the answers and it is C because of the steric hinderance exhibited by D, otherwise D would be your answer if there was only 1R groups connected instead of 2.
 

mellon977

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
26
0
Status
Non-Student
Shouldn't it be D since primary alcohols more readily oxidize to aldehydes? This is an Orgoman question!
 

mellon977

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
26
0
Status
Non-Student
After hard searching, the answer is C! Since the aldehyde already has the carbonyl function group, it oxidizes more at ease than the alcohols do
 

desert

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
83
0
Status
Pre-Dental
mellon977 said:
After hard searching, the answer is C! Since the aldehyde already has the carbonyl function group, it oxidizes more at ease than the alcohols do
agree

Desert
 

RING12

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
207
0
Status
Pre-Dental
allstardentist said:
Which of the following is most easily oxidized?
A. R—COOH
B. R2C=O
C. R—CHO
D. R2CH—OH
E. R3C—OH
i just finished ochem last semester. i can tell you that the answer is primary alcholo. whenever you stuck in any porblem that ask about oxidiation ask yourself which one can make for O.it can be aldehyde b/c still have to oxidize to oxygen till become carboxylic acid to have the maxium o. the the answer is D.
 
OP
A

allstardentist

All-Star
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
927
1
Los Angeles
Status
Dental Student
RING12 said:
i just finished ochem last semester. i can tell you that the answer is primary alcholo. whenever you stuck in any porblem that ask about oxidiation ask yourself which one can make for O.it can be aldehyde b/c still have to oxidize to oxygen till become carboxylic acid to have the maxium o. the the answer is D.
D is not a primary alcohol if you look at it carefully.
 

cryptozoologist

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
98
0
Status
Dental Student
i'm taking ochem this summer and my professor said it was a bogus poorly worded question...because the "most easily oxidized" doesn't have meaning in Organic chemistry without crisp detailed assumptions regarding solvents, nucleophiles, electrophiles, environment, etc.

He said he could drum up experimental conditions that would make every answer the "easiest to oxidize".

I secondarily did a fair search of online material looking for "easiest to oxidize" etc. I found no clear cut statement which would of course support my professors position. So I wouldn't sweat it too much.
 

mellon977

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
26
0
Status
Non-Student
First of all, not every question has a "clear cut" answer however there is a "major" principle reflected in the answer. I believe the question is eluding to the oxidation levels of the functional groups. The reasoning for my answer is the fact that the aldehyde, when oxidized will be a carboxylic acid

(Note, oxidation is defined as a reaction that introduces a more electronegative element to or removes a molecular H from the system.)

On the other hand, the secondary alcohol in D can only be oxidized to a ketone.

Looking at the oxidation levels between both fxnal groups, the aldehyde is "easily" oxidized to become a more oxidative group than the ketone.
 
About the Ads