Another Organic Question???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredds1101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on kaplan's complete science integration workshop B, # 85, what is the product of: KOH
n-propyl chloride ------> ?

since KOH can act as both a strong base and strong nucleophile, and the substrate is a primary alkyl halide, should the product not be n-propyl alcohol (choice C) via a SN2 rxn? the answer key has propylene has the answer which is via E2 mechanism but i don't think this is right. is this another kaplan mistake or am i wrong? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you. I think the solution is wrong. I had the same problem when I solved that problem. Kaplan has some mistakes.

futuredds1101 said:
on kaplan's complete science integration workshop B, # 85, what is the product of: KOH

since KOH can act as both a strong base and strong nucleophile, and the substrate is a primary alkyl halide, should the product not be n-propyl alcohol (choice C) via a SN2 rxn? the answer key has propylene has the answer which is via E2 mechanism but i don't think this is right. is this another kaplan mistake or am i wrong? thanks.

It's not wrong, any 2prime carbon combined with strong base always goes to E2. it only goes to SN2 via weak base/good nucleophile.

futuredds1101 said:

this has already been discussed heres the link

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=297193