Another pediatric dental sedation death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
It’s interesting to read that this is still commonly used in pediatric dental sedation, yet is avoided completely in pediatric hospitals like the plague because of the active metabolite.
This dope should be prosecuted as an example. How many more kids need to die in the interest of efficiency and profit?
PS where was the narcan?
Too much opiate, no breathing, no O2, no heartbeat. That’s pretty predictable, and there are some off-ramps.
“Everyone is an anesthesiologist until the breathing stops.“
 
The ADA is soliciting comments on a rule
Change to allow dental assistants to perform sedation. I’m out of the country and on my phone so can’t find the link, but I left a comment and others should too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The ADA is soliciting comments on a rule
Change to allow dental assistants to perform sedation. I’m out of the country and on my phone so can’t find the link, but I left a comment and others should too.

What credentials do dental assistants have? Do they even need an Associates degree? Dentist greed is ****ing insane
 
She wasn't doing anything outrageously off the reservation. Oral sedation and nitrous? Well within a dentists wheelhouse. Wasn't like she was giving iv versed and fentanyl. She screwed up the oral dose which is a different category altogether than doing anesthesia in her office out of greed.
 
She wasn't doing anything outrageously off the reservation. Oral sedation and nitrous? Well within a dentists wheelhouse. Wasn't like she was giving iv versed and fentanyl. She screwed up the oral dose which is a different category altogether than doing anesthesia in her office out of greed.
PO demerol is a normal thing in kids?

Another dentist nor anesthesiologist. So it's a genuine question, but I do know how that medication works and it seems like that's not a spectacular idea outside of a hospital setting.
 
PO demerol is a normal thing in kids?

Another dentist nor anesthesiologist. So it's a genuine question, but I do know how that medication works and it seems like that's not a spectacular idea outside of a hospital setting.
Single dose oral sedation for outpatient pediatric dental procedures is routine and doesn't cross the line into anesthesia. Meperidine is a safe choice. The problem here was not that a dentist was operating out of her depth, it was her not even being able to function safely in what she was qualified to do. Overdose with failure to rescue. The diffusion hypoxia from the nitrous coming off probably made everything go a lot faster as well.
 
The fact that she gave Flumazenil might be because she has no idea what the F she is doing (clearly) BUT I bet you one of the other 2 sedatives she gave was a benzo (likely midazolam). And on top of that she gave a third sedative + nitrous! And she gave a second dose of demerol too? WTF?! Who knows what kind of monitoring equipment (if any) and personnel was present? Who knows when the problem was even recognized and clearly she had no skills /knowledge to rescue. I tried to look up the sedation guidelines for dentistry in Texas and I would be shocked if any of this was allowed or taught as acceptable. Unfortunately I could not find out what the actual guidelines are. Such a tragedy.