Another personal statement question! (Did search)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFStudent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am confused about the personal statement. Have a couple of questions.

I am applying in May 2004

1) When will I find out what the PS question is?

-or- is it implied that you can basically write about anything?

Again, most people say you should write about something that is unique to you and ONLY YOU. If that is the case, then ... can I just write about anything and forget what the question is?

2) Is there a set length?

(I am wired on coffee right now). What I am trying to say is this:

When AADSAS opens the application, is there a PS question? If so - MUST I answer that question? Or, can I write about anything ...

And does it need to relate to dentistry or why I want to be a dentist. I have a nice idea that DEFINATELY does not deal with any part of dentistry.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Its a personal statement, you can write about anything. There is no question. Just write something so that the adcom can get to know a little about you. have a couple of people read it and make corrections.

I dont remember the exact length but I think the text box the give you cuts it off at around 1000 words.

The Personal statement is just that: a personal statement, a chance for you to talk about something that you believe will increase your likelihood to get accepted... It could be your volunteering, your research experience, a personal event that affect in some major way (careful with this one).

By the way, good luck applying to UF next year. Word of caution when you go for the interview: dont brag about yourself and show that you want to care about others.. Also, get on Dr. Sposetti's good side, she's the "Queen bee" at Admissions, if she likes your face, your in.. (which didnt happen with me :( )

Members don't see this ad :)
spooky42 said:
I dont remember the exact length but I think the text box the give you cuts it off at around 1000 words.

You're correct, its 1000 words.

ItsGavinC said:
Or something like 6,000 characters. Mine was *under* 1,000 words (910 words) but still didn't fit in the text box.

Like to use big words, eh? j/k

I think the best statements tell the story of your life.... what got you interested, how you nourished that interest, and what you plan to do with your life.

Mine was about an experience with an Alzheimer's patient in a nursing home.... how that changed me as a person, how it discrouraged me but ultimately was the inspiration to pursue a career in medicine, etc.

Try to talk about your life in an entertaining way that paints a clear picture of who you are. Everything you write about should be linked to some central theme or thesis statement.

Think hard about what kind of "picture" you want to paint, write from the heart, and you'll have a statement to be proud of. Just my humble thoughts. Best of luck!

ItsGavinC said:
Or something like 6,000 characters. Mine was *under* 1,000 words (910 words) but still didn't fit in the text box.
Yeah, that is annoying as hell.

I definitely recommend *not* putting the finishing touches on your paper until you see how it fits in the AADSAS form. I had my PS perfected but ended up having to cut 80 words in order to cram it under the character limit. What a crock.

Dont copy and paste from Words. For some reasons, AADSAS system doesnt read quotation marks and question marks correctly through copy and paste. I made that mistake on my application. I guess it is not a biggie, since I still have some interviews, but just some mistakes to avoid.

ecdoesit said:
Dont copy and paste from Words. For some reasons, AADSAS system doesnt read quotation marks and question marks correctly through copy and paste. I made that mistake on my application. I guess it is not a biggie, since I still have some interviews, but just some mistakes to avoid.

For online forms, if I'm going to copypaste, I always use Notepad or some equivalent plain-text editor -- definitely not MSWord! When the time comes, I might just end up typing mine in by hand if I'm at all uncertain. Gawd, this is nerve-wracking to think about.

Another suggestion: get a friend to proofread it once you've put it in the textbox. You've probably read it so many times you might not see obvious typographical stuff that the textbox may have altered. I think I might do this.

I wish DS applications had a "preview entire application in pdf format" function. I once applied to some program or scholarship or something where you could preview exactly what your application would look like to the people who read it, so you could really tell what was going on before clicking on that evil little "submit" button.

*sigh*