Another plus for pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend told me that she has a good friend on the east coast who works in apharmacy in the inner city. Her friend was saying that one of the most rewarding aspects was that for many low-income families she was their de facto health care provider because they can't afford to see anyone. They would ask her general advice and she would recommend OTCs or other remedies she knew about. That sounds really rewarding.

Members don't see this ad.

It's often the same way in really small towns. My grandparents live in a town where the nearest doctor is about a two hour drive, but there's a pharmacy right there in town so a lot of people get medical advice from the pharmacist.

Definately beats the conception of pharmacist as pill counters!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, this is a great thread. BUT....i wish the fed.gov would waive student loans of any pharmacist who works in small town or inner city as doctor and nurses are getting such great bargains. Why not pharmacist?....maybe, you could lobby in the future....

Phar,

That's a great concept! I know only of big chains that offer debt forgiveness programs, but ultimately that's something the fed gov't should be doing if they want to truly ensure that small towns are provided for (including towns that Walgreens and Rite-Aid don't deem profitable enough to open a store) In CA, for the teacher shortage there are certain districts that will buy you a house if you agree to teach there. Making sure that a senior in a town of 500 gets his warfarin is just as imperative as keeping the teacher to student ratio 1:25.

We should pledge to work on this when we get into school. Collaborate on it. It has the dual benefit of improving health care delivery and protecting our economic interests.

Didn't Congress just pass or are about to pass a bill that will forgive the loans of pharmacists who work in such areas?