Another question about my math knowledge. Which course to take.

Started by t510
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

t510

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
Sorry to bring this up again, but I am really concerned that I will not have the math skill in order to do well in the medical school pre-req's. Can you help me decide on which course would be more beneficial. Grade 11 math or Pre calculus math. Do I need both? How worried should I be.


I did a Math Assessment Test and I was told I should take grade 11 math. Here is the grade 11 course and the per-calculus math course:

MATH 0523
Advanced Mathematics

0 Credit
Description

This advanced-level algebra course is equivalent to Grade 11 algebra. The course includes an optional review component for students who have not studied algebra for some time. Topics include equations, graphs, polynomials, rational equations, radical equations, and trigonometry.

Delivery Method
Print-based.

Prerequisites
MATH 0401, Grade 10 algebra or equivalent is required. Mathematics Self-Assessment Tests are available online at www.truopen.ca.

Note: Mathematics Self-Assessment form is available on the TRU-OL website and from Student Services.

Course Outline
  • Unit 1: Solving Equations; Formulas and Applications; Applications and Problem Solving; Sets, Inequalities, and Interval Notation; Intersections, Unions, and Compound Inequalities; Absolute-Value Equations and Inequalities.
  • Unit 2: Graphs and Equations; Functions and Graphs; Finding Domain and Range; Linear Functions: Graphs and Slope; More on Graphing Linear Equations; Finding Equations of Lines; Applications.
  • Unit 3: Systems of Equations in Two Variables; Solving by Substitution; Solving by Elimination; Solving Applied Problems: Two Equations; Systems of Equations in Three Variables; Solving Applied Problems: Three Equations; Systems of Inequalities in Two Variables; Business and Economics Applications
  • Unit 4: Introduction to Polynomials and Polynomial Functions; Multiplication of Polynomials; Introduction to Factoring; Factoring Trinomials; Special Factoring; Factoring: A General Strategy; Applications of Polynomial Equations and Functions.
  • Unit 5: Rational Expressions and Functions: Multiplying, Dividing, and Simplifying; LCMs, LCDs, Addition, and Subtraction; Division of Polynomials; Complex Rational Expressions; Solving Rational Equations; Applications and Proportions; Formulas and Applications; Variation and Applications.
  • Unit 6: Radical Expressions and Functions; Rational Numbers as Exponents; Simplifying Radical Expressions; Addition, Subtraction, and More Multiplication; More on Division of Radical Expressions; Solving Radical Equations; Applications Involving Powers and Roots; The Complex Numbers.
  • Unit 7: The Basics of Solving Quadratic Equations; The Quadratic Formula; Applications Involving Quadratic Equations; More on Quadratic Equations; Graphing; Mathematical Modeling with Quadratic Functions; Polynomial and Rational Inequalities.
  • Unit 8: Introduction to trigonometry: trigonometric ratios; solving right triangles, applications and problem-solving; the law of sines and the law of cosines; solving oblique triangles, applications and problem-solving.
Pre-Calculus Mathematics
3.0 Credits
Description

This course provides the mathematical foundation for an introductory calculus course. In addition to a brief review of basic algebra, students are instructed in equations and inequalities; functions, models, and graphs; polynomial and rational functions; exponential and logarithmic functions; trigonometric functions; and trigonometric identities and equations.

Objectives
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:

  • Solve elementary algebra and geometry problems.
  • Solve elementary linear inequalities problems.
  • Define functions and draw their graphs
  • Solve elementary inverse function problems.
  • Solve polynomial, and rational functions
  • Solve exponential and logarithmic problems
  • Graph sinusoidal functions.
  • Solve problems involving trigonometric identities and trigonometric equations.
  • Formulate mathematical models using the various functions described in the course.
Course Outline
Units

  • Topics from Algebra
  • Functions and Graphs
  • Polynomial and Rational Functions
  • Inverse, Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
  • The Trigonometric Functions
  • Analytic Trigonometry
 
When would you be taking these classes? If they're going to be in the fall... You have all summer to do Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/mission/math

I think the best thing would be to put a lot of time into Khan Academy over the summer and then just jump into calculus. If I had to pick from those 2 classes, I'd vote for the pre-calc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. I actually wanted to start the med school pre-req's in the fall... might be tough
 
Can you take trig instead? I took trig, then calc, then trig-based physics, and taking that trig class was the best thing I did. For me, calc wound up being a bit of a waste since I wound up taking trig-based physics, but I overheard several students in my calc class say they wished they had taken trig instead of pre-calc before taking calc. I was completely prepared for calc, getting 100s on every exam, and those who had taken pre-calc were struggling and trying to figure out what the hell a unit circle is. Even if you go on to take calc-based physics, there's a lot of trig in calc. Aside from physics, it hasn't been my experience that the other prereqs require much more than basic algebra skills
 
Thanks beebreezy
If you don't mind, in your opinion, which of the two courses I listed above would be better to take?
 
Also, check into math "For Dummies" books. I had been out of math for 7 years before I took college level math courses. I did the Algebra for Dummies book before I took the assessment test, and it placed me right where I needed to be. Like some of the others mentioned, trig would definitely be helpful, because I had not idea what was going on for most of physics.
 
When you're done with all of that get into statistics. Incredibly applicable to any and all research you may ever do, so getting familiar with it will pay off.
 
You don't (really) need math IN medical school. Best thing you could do, IMO, is to take that MATH 0523 or whaever and get your algebra down. Know it. Avoid calculus, just take the algebra and next semester launch into physics and gen chem, for which you WILL need a solid algebra backgroud. You can learn everything you need about trig for physics on khan academy, and it's not a lot.

I have no Calc courses and had to go through a similar path to get good at algebra. Algebra, algebra, algebra, and you'll be ok

And yes, Stats was very helpful also.