Another question about school rep and ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far.

I just got accepted to Drew/UCLA for next year and I'm debating between going there and Case Western. My main concern is the problems at King/Drew hospital, and whether or not that will affect me in the match. Will program directors unfamiliar with Drew or unconvinced of the quality of my clinical education discount my application to their residency programs? King/Drew lost accrediation of a couple of their residency programs, and I can imagine that wouldn't negatively impact my clinical education. I noticed that the Drew/UCLA match list is not that strong, but it may be a factor of small sample size and the goals of the students in the program.

I know that I can get a very reputable clinical education (MS3 and 4) at Case and get a leg up on a ophtho residency at University Hospitals Cleveland or Cleveland Clinic, but Drew/UCLA is near home and much cheaper. Would I be risking my chances at a competitive residency all other things being equal? (ie good basic science grades, high Step 1). I'm really torn right now. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about DREW, but when a program has lost accreditation, I'd be careful about going to school there. You're going to have to rotate through the same clinics and services that had something wrong resulting in the program being cited. This is not good for the residents, and it's not good for medical students.

In addition, if the match list from DREW has not been strong, then it's another ominous sign.

If you want to go to a stronger program, then consider CASE over DREW.

Originally posted by exmike
Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far.

I just got accepted to Drew/UCLA for next year and I'm debating between going there and Case Western. My main concern is the problems at King/Drew hospital, and whether or not that will affect me in the match. Will program directors unfamiliar with Drew or unconvinced of the quality of my clinical education discount my application to their residency programs? King/Drew lost accrediation of a couple of their residency programs, and I can imagine that wouldn't negatively impact my clinical education. I noticed that the Drew/UCLA match list is not that strong, but it may be a factor of small sample size and the goals of the students in the program.

I know that I can get a very reputable clinical education (MS3 and 4) at Case and get a leg up on a ophtho residency at University Hospitals Cleveland or Cleveland Clinic, but Drew/UCLA is near home and much cheaper. Would I be risking my chances at a competitive residency all other things being equal? (ie good basic science grades, high Step 1). I'm really torn right now. Thanks!

Case! You can be my classmate!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from cali and a lot of people say that going to drew can have a negative impact on your career especially in with respects to matching in california. my friends from ucla med had very negative remarks about the drew students. with all the other medschools you've gotten into, I definitely would be headed elsewhere.

2 from case western matched at U Michigan, 1 matched at WashU this year- I think others may have done well too.

Case is your best bet!

Originally posted by medduck
2 from case western matched at U Michigan, 1 matched at WashU this year- I think others may have done well too.

Case is your best bet!

Well last year Drew had one match at Howard for eye, 2 match at MLK/drew for radiology which promptly lost its accreditation and was shut down (must suck to be those 2). They did have one match in Neurosurg and another at a very low ranked rads program, but I am sure Case has a much better match record.