Another Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikey1294

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking EM was gonna be a must for me when I become a doctor but from what I have heard it is not a wise choice. I heard that you work 12 hour shifts then you are on call all the time so any time they need you they just page and you go. Is this true or what I heard is not true?

Members don't see this ad.

mikey1294 said:
I was thinking EM was gonna be a must for me when I become a doctor but from what I have heard it is not a wise choice. I heard that you work 12 hour shifts then you are on call all the time so any time they need you they just page and you go. Is this true or what I heard is not true?

That's BS. EPs work shifts that vary from 8-12 hours. Most I know work about 40 hours/week, give or take a few. EPs are not on call. When you're home, you're home, and you don't get called in unless there's a large disaster and the hospital's mass casualty incident plan is activated.

Other physicians, such as surgeons, internists, FPs, pediatricians, etc., do take call every few days (this responsibility is usually rotated among physicians in the group), so during those days on call, the physician may be called in from home to evaluate and admit patients. Usually these are only patients who are seen by someone in that particular physician group.

'zilla

Call?

What is this strange thing you speak of? and what is this mysterious black box which occasionally beeps that they gave me? I think its somewhere in the bottom of a drawer somewhere?

What is this 40 hr/week you speak of? I think we averaged 40 hours/week in residency, but I haven't consistently worked that much since I graduated. I like my free time.