another question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is an issue that I need some help with:

I am a student applying to DO schools for the Fall of 2006. Currently, I am filling out my secondaries and hope to have them turned in by the first week of december. At the same time I will also be sending my committee package which includes all my letters of rec. to these schools. My only problem is that I do not have the quintessential letter from a DO physician in my package. I hate myslef for not shadowing a DO earlier!
anyway, next week I have set an appointment with a DO and plan on learning as much as I can on that day.
But it doesnt seem right to ask for a letter on my first appointment with him.
Some of my friends have suggested that I should'nt be embarrased and should go ahead and ask since most people do that anyways. Is this true?

If not, I was thinking of sending my committee letters without the DOs letter and asking him to send his letter individually to each school I have applied later after I have gone to his office a few more times.

Members don't see this ad.

dreambig2night said:

I am a student applying to DO schools for the Fall of 2006. Currently, I am filling out my secondaries and hope to have them turned in by the first week of december. At the same time I will also be sending my committee package which includes all my letters of rec. to these schools. My only problem is that I do not have the quintessential letter from a DO physician in my package. I hate myslef for not shadowing a DO earlier!
anyway, next week I have set an appointment with a DO and plan on learning as much as I can on that day.
Some of my friends have suggested that I should'nt be embarrased and should go ahead and ask since most people do that anyways. Is this true?

If not, I was thinking of sending my committee letters without the DOs letter and asking him to send his letter individually to each school I have applied later after I have gone to his office a few more times.

I did this. But I knew the doctor from when I was younger; however, I did only shadow her for one day and asked her if she might consider writing me a positive letter of recommendation. She had no problem with it. The worst they can say is no. And you will never know unless you ask.. So go for it, just make sure if this is the best DO letter you can get that you make sure it is a positive one.

On the other hand, not all DO schools require letters from a DO physician.

:luck: :)

dreambig2night said:

I don't see any problem asking a DO to write you a LOR after one day of shadowing. They don't mind doing it as much as you think. I think they don't mind it as much as having someone tagging along with them for months. I got my DO LOR after meeting with my family doctor (a DO) for less than 15 minutes. Keep in mind even though he's my family doctor, he's new and I've seen him only twice prior.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything already said. DO's, you'll find, are quite eager to help pre-DO students succeed. I actually had a DO in the ER tell me that he would write me a recommendation without shadowing him. I work as a phlebo there.

I would definitely get that going ASAP. Yes, some schools don't require them, but the vast majority do, and even the ones that don't HIGHLY recommend them, and honestly they go a long way toward augmenting your application, which couldn't hurt given the lateness of the cycle. Best of luck to you!!!

Most docs won't have a problem if you show that you truly have an interest and enthusiasm for learning more about the DO philosophy and OMM. Come prepared with questions about what you learn about osteopathic medicine. Do a bit of research before meeting up...you should have somewhat of a clue of what osteopathic med is about. Also, I agree with the others...be upfront during the first meeting...either now or a few days later wouldn't make a difference, b/c either way, u need a letter soon. as the application process is ROLLING admissions. Good luck!!

I did not have a LOR from a DO at all, but two from MDs that I have worked with for years. I didn't feel comfortable getting one from a physician that did not know me well.
Anyhow, my two cents is that quality counts. You didn't say if you had a letter from an MD in your package so I don't know if this is even necessarily relevant, but I've been accepted to two DO schools without a DO letter, even though "strongly recommended."
:luck:

okay, so I shadowed a DO today and found the experience to be very enlightening.
The physician was quite eager to teach me about the DO approach.
At the end of the day he said,
"Dreambig, next time you come bring your stuff with you so that I can write you a letter of recommendation."
So I walk home really pleased, thinking about the comment he made, but then I realized I didnt know what 'stuff' he was talking about?

What is the stuff he is talking about?
What does he expect me to provide for him on my behalf?
I wanted to incorporate his LOR into my committee package. What does he need from me?

PS: Thank you all for the previous comments and hopefully to the comments for this question!

Usually your CV/resume, personal statement and maybe an (unofficial) transcript. These are things I gave to my recommenders.

If you are applying to DO schools that have specific forms that need to be filled out and sent along with your letters or in lieu of a letter, then you'd want to give 'em those too.

If you are using interfolio then you need to provide him with a waiver form and a addressed stamped envelope.

If not provide them with addressed stamped envelopes for each school you are applying to.

In both cases provide them with the material suggested by strawberryfield.

I'm not sure about including the DO letter in a committee letter.

:thumbup: congrats on getting a DO letter.

dreambig2night said:

The DO letter can be sent seperately. Send everything else TODAY.

You can shadow the DO multiple times over the Christmas break and send that letter in Janurary.

OSUdoc08 said:
The DO letter can be sent seperately. Send everything else TODAY.

You can shadow the DO multiple times over the Christmas break and send that letter in Janurary.
Or you could wait until the spring.....right????
Unreal :confused: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

atrovariousg said:
Or you could wait until the spring.....right????
Unreal :confused: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

What is your problem?