Another Salary Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YOOOUK09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AAMC careers in medicine website says:
"The annual salary for psychiatrists ranges from $168,251 to $248,195"

Yet I'm hearing stories from recent grads of salaries more like 130K.

I'm sure a lot of it is location dependent, but which figures should I believe?

Moreover, does going to a "prestigious" residency program help get a higher paying job?

Members don't see this ad.

Moreover, does going to a "prestigious" residency program help get a higher paying job?

The 168,251 is a typical starting salary in private practice for a BE psych, and more is possible if you are willing to work more than 40 hours a week

130K is a typical starting salary at a state hosp for a BE psychiatrist.

Thanks!

I thought state hospitals paid more? Is there an inpatient/outpatient difference?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

I thought state hospitals paid more? Is there an inpatient/outpatient difference?

You should believe those sources you deem reliable. There is simply no simple answer to this question. Yes it IS very location dependent--so you should seek info about offers people are getting in the area you hope to practice in. There are substantial differences in the public vs. private sectors, inpatient vs. outpatient, urban vs. rural, child vs. adult, payor mix, etc...

I'm going to step out on a limb here and suggest that possibly those in more "prestigious" residencies end up being paid LESS initially--simply because they are a) more likely to stay in academia, b) more likely to stay in areas which are relatively over-supplied with psychiatrists, and c) less likely to take jobs in the hinterlands at poorly served state hospitals where compensation may be more generous. I'm merely supposing, however, and doubt that there is much in the way of hard numbers to support this.

psych is in such demand that I've seen people take jobs for $220k right out of residency working 40 hours per week with light call. If you want to work hard you can make over 300k

I'm going to step out on a limb here and suggest that possibly those in more "prestigious" residencies end up being paid LESS initially--simply because they are a) more likely to stay in academia, b) more likely to stay in areas which are relatively over-supplied with psychiatrists, and c) less likely to take jobs in the hinterlands at poorly served state hospitals where compensation may be more generous. I'm merely supposing, however, and doubt that there is much in the way of hard numbers to support this.

I'm making the same assumptions (regardless of whether a prestigious residency deigns to match me or not) because those are all likely to be choices I'm going to make.

Anybody have any hourly figures for ip, op, public, private, etc?

if what u are saying that 168,000 is the usually the average out of residency then why does everyone say that psychiatry is the lowest paying speciality. I have been told by even family doc oh that you do not want to go into psyc because the pay is like 90,000.

if what u are saying that 168,000 is the usually the average out of residency then why does everyone say that psychiatry is the lowest paying speciality. I have been told by even family doc oh that you do not want to go into psyc because the pay is like 90,000.

Shhh! Misinformation keeps the rabble out!

I'm working in a state forensic unit in Ohio. Pay is about $135-160/year. The pay varies depending on a few factors such as the quality of the work you give--(they rate you--higher rating=higher pay), more qualifications such as fellowship also adds points to your pay. Years of work there adds more points. This is for a base 40 hr work week. No calls. There are very good state benefits such as an equivalent of a 401K plan, and if you work for x amount of years (forgot how many, think its about 25), they'll give you half your salary as your pension for the rest of your life.

There's an IM doc in the same place with a neprhology fellowship on her CV and she's making $100,000, and she's worked there for years. Doesn't make sense to me, but hey, it is what it is.

In NJ, the state psychiatrists earn a base salary of about $200,000/year-for a 40 hr work week-no calls. Similar benefits to above. I hear though that they specifically want 2 years of post residency experience before hiring.

In California, I hear is about $200,000-$250,000. That's what I hear--so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Its going to vary highly per area. Cost of living must also be factored in as well. Some places will pay higher and lower, and their costs of living will be higher & lower. E.g. in NJ, property taxes are through the roof, and real estate prices are more than 2x as much where I'm at now which is the Cincinnati-Ohio/Northern Kentucky area. I'd say if I worked in a state facility in NJ I'd be ahead all things considered, but not by much when you factor in the cost of living, and that the facility I'm at is pretty much heaven compared to most of the state psyche buildings I've seen in NJ. (we're talking a place a beautiful as a shopping mall vs a run down, paint chipping off the wall type facility).

If you want real money-it seems the magic mix is the midwest. High pay because of a severe shortage of psychiatrists such as in Iowa, but the cost of living is extremely low. That being said, Iowa is cold in winter and you'll be away from big city culture. (No offense to Iowans. My in-laws are from there, I suggested to the wife to move there for the money bonus and she was adamant in not going back!)

then why does everyone say that psychiatry is the lowest paying speciality.
Don't know. Probably based on old data, or the sometimes existing snobbery against psychiatrists from certain other fields (though I see it against every field--depending on the person-the IM docs called the surgeons the "plumbers", and the PCPs "wimps". The psychiatrists were bugged with the bogus consults from the IM docs...) . I remember in medschool, an IM doc kept mentioning to me that there was some cure to mental illness that was discovered so psychiatrists would be obsolete in less than 5 years. I don't know where he was getting that. Maybe he would've benefitted from an antipsychotic.

possibly those in more "prestigious" residencies end up being paid LESS initially--simply because they are a) more likely to stay in academia, b) more likely to stay in areas which are relatively over-supplied with psychiatrists, and c) less likely to take jobs in the hinterlands at poorly served state hospitals where compensation may be more generous.
I've noticed some truth to this, though I'm also certain there are exceptions. Those in academia are going to be in places that produce psychiatrists that will likely want to stay in the area--decreasing the odds there'll be a shortage in that area. Academia in general tends to pay less than a big business clinical operation. I'm sure though there are exceptions. E.g. what if someone in a very prestigious institution with a lot of respect left & did some private work? That person if he/she marketed him/herself correctly could make a lot more money than a typical private clinician.

Well hey, chalk me up in the lower category, though if I really wanted to, I could work more & make more. I could've stayed in NJ & been making much more. I chose to be in the situation I'm in because I'm working in a forensic facility & I want to learn forensics. There's forensic specific grand rounds here, have some notable & very good supportive forensic attendings offer guidance I couldn't find at most places, and they're doing research on some cutting edge forensic stuff like the HCR-20.

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative post whopper!

If bottom line its about the money to someone-I'd say move to Iowa or some other place where there's an extreme shortage, plant your flag & set up a private practice, and try to get some psychiatrists to work with you as a team practice. I'd reccomend this even over going into fellowship. I can see big bucks there--probably over $300K/year, and in an area that's extremely cheap to live.

IMHO though, money, while being important isn't what its all about. Happiness with the area you live, your work colleagues, and happiness with the job matter. Some areas there there are shortages & have them for a reason--because there's nothing to do in that area.

And there's benefits with being in an area where there's a psyche program-even though it lessens the shortage. The quality of the psychiatrists will be higher, there'll be an existing psychiatric structure where you can communicate with your colleagues, which can help you to be a better psychiatrist, and hey, who doesn't want a good plate of good food now & then. You'll find in some undeserved areas that a good plate of Italian food is no where to be found.

The 168,251 is a typical starting salary in private practice for a BE psych, and more is possible if you are willing to work more than 40 hours a week

130K is a typical starting salary at a state hosp for a BE psychiatrist.

What is "BE" Pysch? (??Board _______??)

This summer the California state prison system was offering psychiatrist $288,000 a year for a 40-hour work week and no call.

This summer the California state prison system was offering psychiatrist $288,000 a year for a 40-hour work week and no call.

Is being a prison psychiatrist as bad/dangerous/scary as it sounds? Seems like you would be fearing for your life like 24/7.

Is being a prison psychiatrist as bad/dangerous/scary as it sounds? Seems like you would be fearing for your life like 24/7.

Check out this blog and read the posts by "ClinkShrink". They seem to enjoy their work.

(This is a cool blog in general--shared by three psychiatrists. They have a lot to say!)

Check out this blog and read the posts by "ClinkShrink". They seem to enjoy their work.

(This is a cool blog in general--shared by three psychiatrists. They have a lot to say!)

thanks for the link, interesting stuff, I love reading what people in mental health careers have to say about their work. (hence why I troll around here so much reading what you all have to say)

Now i just need to get back to whats important, learning tensor calculus so i can plass fluid mechanics or else ill never get the chance to decide what specialty fits me best.