another secondary photo question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been addressed a few times, but I'd like to ask myself. Many people have said that photos sent with secondaries should be in professional attire. I tried to take some photos today in my work clothes, but they didn't look good. I cover my hair with a hat for religious reasons, and the hat that matches my work clothes isn't really photogenic. So I have a great photo of me, but it's not in "professional attire." I'm not sloppy or anything, just wearing a nice solid-color t-shirt and a somewhat casual (purple) hat. I'm in front of the ocean, but it's just a headshot, not too much like a snapshot. It's a great picture and I look friendly. This might be anal, but I don't want to get hurt by not having a pic in "professional attire." What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

tigress said:
I know this has been addressed a few times, but I'd like to ask myself. Many people have said that photos sent with secondaries should be in professional attire. I tried to take some photos today in my work clothes, but they didn't look good. I cover my hair with a hat for religious reasons, and the hat that matches my work clothes isn't really photogenic. So I have a great photo of me, but it's not in "professional attire." I'm not sloppy or anything, just wearing a nice solid-color t-shirt and a somewhat casual (purple) hat. I'm in front of the ocean, but it's just a headshot, not too much like a snapshot. It's a great picture and I look friendly. This might be anal, but I don't want to get hurt by not having a pic in "professional attire." What do y'all think?

hmmmmmm....how casual is the hat? can you see the ocean in the back? is the sun in your eyes? if you're squinting like you're at the beach, it might be bad. also if it's real sunny out etc. does it look like it was taken in your backyard or at the beach? it's kinda hard to say without seeing the actual picture. maybe someone else can give better advice considering i have no experience with this...

SpeedRacer said:
hmmmmmm....how casual is the hat? can you see the ocean in the back? is the sun in your eyes? if you're squinting like you're at the beach, it might be bad. also if it's real sunny out etc. does it look like it was taken in your backyard or at the beach? it's kinda hard to say without seeing the actual picture. maybe someone else can give better advice considering i have no experience with this...

lol, thanks for the reply :D

The hat is pretty nice, and the sun isn't in my eyes. I went to a photo kiosk and printed them out, so I"ll probably use this photo. I guess it won't make much of a difference, but at this point I don't want to do something silly that could hurt my application even a little, after working so hard on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what to do - I'm not in a place where I can really take a professional picture - camp will do that. I can take one in a t-shirt after a shower, but thats about it. I didn't know there was an issue with this, just assumed it was for ID purposes.

tigress does it seem like i'm trying to one-up you on the posts tonight? :laugh:

Embily123 said:
I don't know what to do - I'm not in a place where I can really take a professional picture - camp will do that. I can take one in a t-shirt after a shower, but thats about it. I didn't know there was an issue with this, just assumed it was for ID purposes.

I wouldn't say professional attire is necessary since it is a head shot, and even if you're wearing a nice outfit, they can't see it. I just took a headshot of me in front of a white wall at my house with a digital and printed a bunch of copies out. It is for ID purposes only so don't worry about being glamorous or anything.

tigress said:
I'm sure that my spelling is incorrect, but why don't you just wear a sheitl (sp?) if you have one. That will take care of the entire hat issue. Also, I don't know if "Professional" attire is completely necessary. I used my college yearbook picture (cut down to fit each school's specific size requirement) and had no problem at all. Hope this helps and good luck!!

FloridaMadame said:
I'm sure that my spelling is incorrect, but why don't you just wear a sheitl (sp?) if you have one. That will take care of the entire hat issue. Also, I don't know if "Professional" attire is completely necessary. I used my college yearbook picture (cut down to fit each school's specific size requirement) and had no problem at all. Hope this helps and good luck!!

thanks for the reply :)
I actually don't wear sheitls (wigs, for other people reading this :p ). I only wear hats and scarves. I'm hoping I can get through med school and everything without having to get a sheitl. I figure Muslim women wear their headscarves, so I should be able to get through :)

My photos are passport photos taken at a regular passport photo shop thing, and I am just weraing a white t-shirt and my hair is not tied up or anything. I agree with above posters that I think it is just for identification issues and the formal attire is not necessary. I too thought this picture of mine was more open and friendly seeming... :p
don't know about the whole ocean in the background though? You have to be the jusge of that since only you can see the photo...
good luck!