Another semester of post bacc ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sitto48

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just completed a semester in my DIY post bach . I have taken the follow courses which are 400 level while working full time :

immunology : A
Biochemical toxicology : A
Advanced Physiology : B

I am studying for the MCAT and quit my job because it was overwhelming and will be working per diem as an EMT
My major was biology and I have a 3.07 without these classes in consideration and a science GPA of 2.8 (w/o this semester ) .

I have more than 1000+ hours of clinical volunteering
About 250 hours shadowing in internal medicine and facial plastics
Recommendation letters etc

should I take another semester of courses or should I focus on studying for the mcat ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I have just completed a semester in my DIY post bach . I have taken the follow courses which are 400 level while working full time :

immunology : A
Biochemical toxicology : A
Advanced Physiology : B

I am studying for the MCAT and quit my job because it was overwhelming and will be working per diem as an EMT
My major was biology and I have a 3.07 without these classes in consideration and a science GPA of 2.8 (w/o this semester ) .

I have more than 1000+ hours of clinical volunteering
About 250 hours shadowing in internal medicine and facial plastics
Recommendation letters etc

should I take another semester of courses or should I focus on studying for the mcat ?
I would take enough classes to get your science GPA to at least a 3.0. Goro has a guide to reinvention and I believe two full semesters of essentially straight As is usually recommended for a lower GPA. Obviously, a high MCAT will help you and I’d shoot for a 510+ on practice exams before taking the real thing. Good luck, it takes time but you can do it!

I would take enough classes to get your science GPA to at least a 3.0. Goro has a guide to reinvention and I believe two full semesters of essentially straight As is usually recommended for a lower GPA. Obviously, a high MCAT will help you and I’d shoot for a 510+ on practice exams before taking the real thing. Good luck, it takes time but you can do it!
Ok I’ll register for another semester . Thank you ! I’ve been scoring pretty high on my practice exams because I’m good at test taking but I’ll save the mcat for when my grades are where they need to be .

Members don't see this ad :)
^Another side to the coin would be if you're peaking now, I'd take the mcat and get it out of the way. You got a few years before it expires and it's the majority of the hurdle in premed. Doing well in your undergrad classes without the mcat looming would be way less stressful.

Reactions: 2 users
^Another side to the coin would be if you're peaking now, I'd take the mcat and get it out of the way. You got a few years before it expires and it's the majority of the hurdle in premed. Doing well in your undergrad classes without the mcat looming would be way less stressful.

Ok that makes sense. I had initially planned to take it in March. I will take more practice exams to gauge where I am score wise and take it from there.

Ok that makes sense. I had initially planned to take it in March. I will take more practice exams to gauge where I am score wise and take it from there.
For sure, that sounds better. If you're scoring 510+ or whatever the new baseline is now, I say take it.

For sure, that sounds better. If you're scoring 510+ or whatever the new baseline is now, I say take it.
Unrelated but do you think research is necessary to apply? I have been having trouble finding a lab because of COVID restrictions.

Unrelated but do you think research is necessary to apply? I have been having trouble finding a lab because of COVID restrictions.
Research is one of the "hidden" requirements these days, and it can definitely enhance your app.
Reach out to your professors/network to see if anyone knows anyone who can give you a boost/put in a good word for you.

I would ask you what the rest of your application looks like, but without being past the 3.0 hurdle you won't get past most of the cursory pre-med screens. Focus on doing well in your classes/on the MCAT before you think about the rest of your application. Can't overstate the importance of a solid MCAT + GPA to get your foot in the door.

Good luck!

I didn’t have any research experience and got in an MD school.

Reactions: 1 users