Formal vs DIY Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedocmath

Reaction score
I know this question has been explored here before but I was looking to get advice unique to my situation.

I recently graduated from a T10 university with a degree in math (cGPA: 3.61, BCPM: 3.42 (two Cs in theoretical math courses)). I need to fulfill my pre-med reqs so I applied to some career changer programs and was accepted at Hopkins. I also enrolled in my local 4 year state school as a second degree seeking student.

I’m pretty confident I can do well in the pre med classes and the MCAT because I’m dedicated to going down this path. But I’m not sure whether I should take the DIY route or go to Hopkins.

The Hopkins program offers:
  1. name recognition
  2. easy to come by research gigs (med tutorial internship is a required class, program places you into research)
  3. clinical experience
  4. near perfect acceptance rate into med school
  5. more handholding throughout the whole process

But its drawbacks are:
  1. very expensive (~90k for one year, but my parents have offered to help since its Hopkins)
  2. away from home which might not be great for my mental health currently
  3. competitive environment (being from a competitive ug, i’m not sure if i want to put myself back into this just yet)
The DIY program offers:
  1. research with professors (not clinical, but some cool bio/chem research)
  2. committee letter
  3. a premed advisor who has so far been super helpful
  4. small classrooms (~20 students/class)
  5. way less expensive and I can self fund it without any $$ from parents
  6. get to stay at home, which is a big+ for my managing my mental/physical health rn

But its drawbacks are:
  1. more uncertainty regarding med school admissions
  2. more self direction and less handholding
  3. clinical opportunities are harder to come by, i.e. i need to pursue them and they are not just handed to me

How would you guys go about making a decision like this? Any input is appreciated, especially from those who have gone down the DIY path and been successful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would definitely recommend the DIY postbac. Postbac name recognition is not a big deal if you went to T10 undergrad - if you do well in a DIY postbac, all doors will still be open. Clinical research is also not a big deal for applying to med school - even for research intensive schools, non-clinical bio/chem research is completely fine. What is a big deal is saving tens of thousands of dollars and having a good support system so you can do well in postbac. Also, JHU is very selective, so fair to assume that most undergrads in JHU premed classes are stellar. From this standpoint, it will probably be easier to stand out and perform above average at your state school compared to JHU.

I did a DIY postbac, got into a T10 med school and am attending now - would 100% do it again.

I know this question has been explored here before but I was looking to get advice unique to my situation.

I recently graduated from a T10 university with a degree in math (cGPA: 3.61, BCPM: 3.42 (two Cs in theoretical math courses)). I need to fulfill my pre-med reqs so I applied to some career changer programs and was accepted at Hopkins. I also enrolled in my local 4 year state school as a second degree seeking student.

I’m pretty confident I can do well in the pre med classes and the MCAT because I’m dedicated to going down this path. But I’m not sure whether I should take the DIY route or go to Hopkins.

The Hopkins program offers:
  1. name recognition
  2. easy to come by research gigs (med tutorial internship is a required class, program places you into research)
  3. clinical experience
  4. near perfect acceptance rate into med school
  5. more handholding throughout the whole process

But its drawbacks are:
  1. very expensive (~90k for one year, but my parents have offered to help since its Hopkins)
  2. away from home which might not be great for my mental health currently
  3. competitive environment (being from a competitive ug, i’m not sure if i want to put myself back into this just yet)
The DIY program offers:
  1. research with professors (not clinical, but some cool bio/chem research)
  2. committee letter
  3. a premed advisor who has so far been super helpful
  4. small classrooms (~20 students/class)
  5. way less expensive and I can self fund it without any $$ from parents
  6. get to stay at home, which is a big+ for my managing my mental/physical health rn

But its drawbacks are:
  1. more uncertainty regarding med school admissions
  2. more self direction and less handholding
  3. clinical opportunities are harder to come by, i.e. i need to pursue them and they are not just handed to me

How would you guys go about making a decision like this? Any input is appreciated, especially from those who have gone down the DIY path and been successful. Thanks!
If you are sure you will go down this path, DIY. Save the money for actual medical school. If there is a potential you would change your mind later, Hopkins. But personally I don’t think it’s worth it for either scenario.

I think DIY saving more money, I did my post bacc at nyu, it costs around 90k. I should take all courses at CUNY.