Another Set of NYC Area Rank Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBloobs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems there's a special type of people out there that enjoys these conversations, and, while obviously the opinions of strangers doesn't factor too strongly into these decisions, I figured a few other perspectives on the matter couldn't hurt anyway. As an IMG, the NYC area options are a bit limited. You hear rumors of an occasional interview from Mount Sinai and AE in the Bronx, but generally we're talking a different set of programs open to us -- a set of programs that aren't discussed as often on these boards. So maybe I'm not the only one to stand to benefit here.

I keep going back and forth on some of the community hospitals with good university affiliations, like Beth Israel and St. Luke's and some of the surrounding university programs with decent reputations, like Robert Wood Johnson in NJ, Long Island Jewish, and Stony Brook. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know the drill, so I'll start:

Beth Israel: Reputation as a bit of a cushy program with its biggest asset being the location. But compared to the average IMG-friendly programs out there, the program seems really solid, with good faculty and attendings, a good set of residents and nice facilities.

St. Luke's: It seems like a lot of the same can be said about St. Lukes as BI above. There might've be some marginal difference in the quality of fellowships obtained by graduates and the facilities, but overall pretty similar.

RWJ: Lots of driving and an older facility in Piscataway, but seemed like a good group of residents and attendings. Struck me as a pretty quirky academic environment, with scavenger hunts and whatnot to spice things up.

Stony Brook: Really liked the faculty and facilities here. I don't have a list to go back and verify, but at the interview I remember the post-graduate results of recent alumni were pretty impressive.

LIJ: Huge program, but plenty going on at Zucker Hilside to justify the size of the class. Seems like they have just about everything you could ask for in a program, except maybe a better location and a less draconian call schedule.

I already have a sense of how I'm ranking 'em, but would be curious to see any other opinions out there and how some of you folks, IMG and AMG's alike, would stack them up. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems there's a special type of people out there that enjoys these conversations, and, while obviously the opinions of strangers doesn't factor too strongly into these decisions, I figured a few other perspectives on the matter couldn't hurt anyway. As an IMG, the NYC area options are a bit limited. You hear rumors of an occasional interview from Mount Sinai and AE in the Bronx, but generally we're talking a different set of programs open to us -- a set of programs that aren't discussed as often on these boards. So maybe I'm not the only one to stand to benefit here.

I keep going back and forth on some of the community hospitals with good university affiliations, like Beth Israel and St. Luke's and some of the surrounding university programs with decent reputations, like Robert Wood Johnson in NJ, Long Island Jewish, and Stony Brook. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know the drill, so I'll start:

Beth Israel: Reputation as a bit of a cushy program with its biggest asset being the location. But compared to the average IMG-friendly programs out there, the program seems really solid, with good faculty and attendings, a good set of residents and nice facilities.

St. Luke's: It seems like a lot of the same can be said about St. Lukes as BI above. There might've be some marginal difference in the quality of fellowships obtained by graduates and the facilities, but overall pretty similar.

RWJ: Lots of driving and an older facility in Piscataway, but seemed like a good group of residents and attendings. Struck me as a pretty quirky academic environment, with scavenger hunts and whatnot to spice things up.

Stony Brook: Really liked the faculty and facilities here. I don't have a list to go back and verify, but at the interview I remember the post-graduate results of recent alumni were pretty impressive.

LIJ: Huge program, but plenty going on at Zucker Hilside to justify the size of the class. Seems like they have just about everything you could ask for in a program, except maybe a better location and a less draconian call schedule.

I already have a sense of how I'm ranking 'em, but would be curious to see any other opinions out there and how some of you folks, IMG and AMG's alike, would stack them up. Thanks in advance.

Just to let you know, Most who've interviewed at these programs may be reluctant to respond if you haven't been a contributor to the pot. I would really like to refer you to the "Interview Experiences" Thread where many (who may be able to answer your question) took a lot of effort to construct sizable experiences for all to see.

Just to let you know, Most who've interviewed at these programs may be reluctant to respond if you haven't been a contributor to the pot. I would really like to refer you to the "Interview Experiences" Thread where many (who may be able to answer your question) took a lot of effort to construct sizable experiences for all to see.

You mean the thread where people have contributed 10 reviews of NYU , MGH and Hopkins and no reviews on the programs I introduced? Thanks for the guidance.

A lot of people on these boards have the programs I listed in the 6-12 area of their rank list and can probably afford to throw a bone to the lowly lurkers among us.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean the thread where people have contributed 10 reviews of NYU , MGH and Hopkins and no reviews on the programs I introduced? Thanks for the guidance.

A lot of people on these boards have the programs I listed in the 6-12 area of their rank list and can probably afford to throw a bone to the lowly lurkers among us.

Haha, very true, all of what you say. They usually wont review them unless it is a popular brand name. It doesn't mean that they didn't interview and haven't formed an opinion about the others, however.

And for you to be the first to rate at least one of these would be great. In theory, it would boost that program's ratings and hopefully get more scrutiny (whether positive or negative) in the future for budding applicants.

IJS (for Im Just Saying)

Whatever the case, GOOD LUCK!:)

Last edited:
I know two people who went to St. Lukes in recent years, really liked it, and ended up with excellent fellowship placement.

I know two people who went to St. Lukes in recent years, really liked it, and ended up with excellent fellowship placement.

Thanks for the info. They mentioned a few of the fellowship placements just briefly on interview day and honestly I don't remember being overly impressed. Unfortunately they don't have a very informative website either so I can't really get a great sense of the quality of placements.

I think a lot of the applicants that end up at middle-tier programs really focus on fellowship placements. A good fellowship means we can finally catch up to all you top-tier superstars out there...or at least maybe come a little closer.

In any case, I like hearing things like that. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the info. They mentioned a few of the fellowship placements just briefly on interview day and honestly I don't remember being overly impressed. Unfortunately they don't have a very informative website either so I can't really get a great sense of the quality of placements.

I think a lot of the applicants that end up at middle-tier programs really focus on fellowship placements. A good fellowship means we can finally catch up to all you top-tier superstars out there...or at least maybe come a little closer.

In any case, I like hearing things like that. Appreciate it.

this is kind of a moot point. fellowships in psychiatry are easy to get no matter where you do residency.