Another: should I retake thread =/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDN'ers,

I just took the DAT and here are my scores
PAT: 25
QR: 22
RC: 16................ :(
Bio: 20
GC: 25
OC 23
TS: 22
AA: 21

my BCP is 3.8, and gpa is 3.74

I did really bad on the RC, I mean.. dam... I panicked so hard during that section.
I was wondering would that score bring me down? Would the RC show how bad I am...
Also, on websites, it lists that the average DAT score for certain score is "X", is that the average of everything including the PAT? Or just the Academic Average?

Any feedback helps :p Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I did really bad on the RC
I was wondering would that score bring me down? Would the RC show how bad I am...

Can you get in with your current scores? Yes.
That said, this doubt that you have about your scores will eat you alive in the application cycle if you don't hear immediately from dental schools.

For your peace of mind, I recommend a retake. Smash the RC and go into the cycle confident in your scores.

Reactions: 1 user
would it hurt to do a re-take? I mean, unless you score higher right?

Members don't see this ad :)
would it hurt to do a re-take?

You need to decide for yourself whether you are satisfied enough with your 16RC to skip a retake.
If you are satisfied, then skip the retake. If you feel that the 16RC will hold you back, do the retake.

I dont think it necessary unless you're applying to schools with cut off scores. Your stats are more than fine. I doubt that 16 rc will kill your application.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont think it necessary unless you're applying to schools with cut off scores. Your stats are more than fine. I doubt that 16 rc will kill your application.
RC is rather important imo. Some schools put as much weight on it as AA/TS. If it were QR, then it'd be a different story.

Oh well, I guess there is nothing for me to do about it during this application cycle since I have to wait another 90 days to retake. I think I am just going to see the results of the application cycle. I can retake it in the future perhaps.

Thank you all for your feedback :)

You have great scores overall. While RC is important, your GPAs are good and I still think your chances are solid

Remember that the DAT is just one way to assess an applicant. As long as you did well in your english courses, then they might give you some leeway on that RC score.

your scores are solid same with your GPA don't sweat it! I know your worried about your RC but you never know until you try!

RC is rather important imo. Some schools put as much weight on it as AA/TS. If it were QR, then it'd be a different story.

I've been told RC is weighed the heaviest for a lot of schools as an indicator of performance in dental schools since you'd be doing tons of reading in a short amount of time and need to understand/absorb it properly to keep passing. RC is the only section that gives that indication on the exam. That being said, I have a 22 in RC and I don't think it's done anything special for me and I see plenty of people get interviews with far less scores in RC. I wouldn't retake it because if you somehow get a lesser AA, but higher RC, I don't think that would look good either. Each retake should be higher so what are the odds you can go from 21AA to 25AA and bring that RC from 16 to 22? I don't know. Sleep on it a few nights and then make your decision.

Reactions: 3 users