Another thread like all the rest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMountainMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated a year ago and haven't been able to find a job despite looking and applying all the time, so the last year of my resume is blank, I have nothing to show for it. I just started volunteering in the local ER, I used to have my EMT-B cert but never worked as an EMT, and let it expire and never renewed it. I have 2 of summers worth of full time experience working with a well respected doctor in his cancer genetics lab connected with a medical school. My undergrad GPA is a 3.019 in Molecular, Cellular, Developmental Biology, and I got a 30S on my MCAT(V=8, P=12, B=10, WR=S).

Im trying to get a few more volunteer positions(maybe another hospital position, and teaching people how to read) while Im unemployed to boost those hours up, and Im appplying to a bunch of SMP's in hopes of working my brains out and getting straight A's and then applying to med school. Do I even have a shot at an SMP right now? If I were to get into one and do well would I have a shot at an allopasthic program?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, and yes. If you ace a SMP you will have a chance at MD, but I'd probably apply DO also, unless you would rather reapply. Increasing your MCAT and doing SMP would help your chances at allo if you do really well in the program.

I figured that, but do I even have a chance at an SMP with my stats? Might it be better to go to grad school first, get straight A's, then try for an SMP? I didnt show Im ready to work undergrad cause all I did was ski and skydive but I am 100% focused and ready now to devote my entire life to this, and know I can do it.