tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey, guys. Posting for my partner; we're couples matching (I'm going for med-peds with medicine backup and he for categorical peds) and trying to figure out more programs to cut before the 15th (I think); he's neurotic and we're having issues figuring out how many to apply to, and couples matching is complicating everything. Here are his stats:

Step 1: high 250s (Note: I'm high 240's applying for med-peds, but this is HIS list)
Med school: Low-mid tier chicago MD
Basic sciences: All A's
Clinical: 7/8 A's (B in EM)
ECs: Research before med school and in med school, no publications, 1 poster
treasurer of a group in medical school
Significant volunteering in free clinic
Aiming for 18-20 interviews

It's hard to say exactly what our goals are, and it's hard for me to figure out the "tiers" of these programs, but if I've categorized anything as wrong with regard to safety vs. target vs. reach, I'd appreciate it. I'm not panicking, but boyfriend is definitely doing that, and we sort of lack good advising to bring us through the couples match.

Safety: Lutheran (IL), Christ (IL), Wisconsin, Toledo, SLU, RWJMS, Grand rapids, Children's Michigan (Detroit), Maryland, St John (detroit), UIC, Oakland,

Target: MCW, UVM, Brown, Pittsburgh, OHSU, Cincinatti Children's, Cleveland Clinic, Montefiore, Stony Brook, Jacobi, Sinai, Dartmouth, Mayo, Michigan, Beaumont, Minnesota, Tufts, Indiana, Rush, Loyola, UChicago, Children's National (DC), Georgetown, UCSD

Reach: UW, UVA, Vanderbilt, CHOP, Case, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, UNC, Duke, WashU, Hopkins, Children's Boston, Vanderbilt, MGH, Northwestern, Yale, UCLA, USC, UCSF, Stanford

Thanks, guys.

kinzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Struggling with determining tiers of peds programs too. From my (limited) understanding, I don't know that I would categorize Wisconsin as a safety school, and I feel like Cinci and Cleveland Clinic would probably be reach schools for just about any of us! I have similar stats. UVA to me seemed more like a target school, not reach. However - this is just my very limited understanding of the rankings of programs...I feel like some resources state one thing and the next resource I look at states the opposite with regard to how some of these programs are viewed. Hopefully this helped a little - but if not, hopefully at least some commiseration that this is a hard process :)

physicsnerd42

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pitt, Cincinatti, UCSD and OHSU are in the reach category. I think he has a good shot at any of the programs, but the ones in the reach category can be a bit unpredictable. He will likely be turning down a lot of interviews. Otherwise, looks good except for one thing: I didn't think there were any med-peds programs on the west coast north of LA, so if you're couples matching why are schools like Stanford, UCSF, UW, Oakland and OHSU on there? You probably want to make sure your lists match up. Also, as a reach, add Colorado - great peds and new med-peds program from what I remember on the interview trail.

bjackrian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Attending Physician
Colorado does indeed have a new med-peds program (you'd be applying for the third year of its existence, I think). And as a biased graduate, I agree that there categorical peds is pretty great. :)

I suspect you'll be in good shape overall for the match, though certainly the limited spaces in med-peds and couples matching adds a few wrinkles. I think you'd be a competitive couple at just about any of the places on your list including the reach ones.

OP
tantacles

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pitt, Cincinatti, UCSD and OHSU are in the reach category. I think he has a good shot at any of the programs, but the ones in the reach category can be a bit unpredictable. He will likely be turning down a lot of interviews. Otherwise, looks good except for one thing: I didn't think there were any med-peds programs on the west coast north of LA, so if you're couples matching why are schools like Stanford, UCSF, UW, Oakland and OHSU on there? You probably want to make sure your lists match up. Also, as a reach, add Colorado - great peds and new med-peds program from what I remember on the interview trail.
I'm dual applying to medicine, and ucsf, UW, Stanford, and ohsu are on my list of potential programs I would love to be at. Perhaps I should have clarified!

Thank you for the advice!

Step Up

7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your partner will get A LOT of interviews and I expect you guys will have a fun and difficult decision to make deciding among many excellent programs.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You will be fine. I would consider cutting a few of the safety programs since you should both be quite competitive. One place to consider adding might be the Houston programs, as Baylor and UT Houston each have med-peds programs, and Baylor in particular has strong programs for both medicine and peds (though UT Houston is certainly no slouch).

OP
tantacles

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You will be fine. I would consider cutting a few of the safety programs since you should both be quite competitive. One place to consider adding might be the Houston programs, as Baylor and UT Houston each have med-peds programs, and Baylor in particular has strong programs for both medicine and peds (though UT Houston is certainly no slouch).
We cut Texas programs because the state scares us due to their reputation of throwing rocks at gay people, but they were on our list initially! And we know the cities themselves are pretty liberal, but at these tertiary care centers, you get people from hicksville. Granted, that happens everywhere, but I think it might be the worst in Texas. But yes, we're going to try to cut some safeties.