ANSWER ASAP!- about Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this can be posted in post-bac section, but I won't get as quick as response here.

My question: Is it still too late to apply for this year for the Georgetown SMP? (not for me, but a really good friend of mine who doens't use SDN)

His stats: 27MCAT(8PS,8VR,10BS) and 3.4 GPA, very good EC (i.e.research and volunteering).

I just sent him the info about Georgetown SMP. DO you think he has a chance for it this late in the process?

Thanks.

pce

Members don't see this ad.

Give it more then 20 min. Not everyone on here would know about it. Why not look on the website really not that hard to do then posting here.

From the website directly (which took 1 min to find)

Completed ON-LINE applications and supplemental materials will be accepted beginning on January 1 for the class beginning the same year. Applications must be received no later than June 1. Due to the competitive applicant pool and rolling admissions, we recommend early application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current student in the SMP. It is not too late at all. And a 27 and a 3.4 is pretty competitive, although the 27 might be a little on the low side, it is still very acceptable. He should get his app in soon as it gets more and more competitive as you go along, but it is only sort of mid-season right now for the SMP.

PittMedicine said:
I know this can be posted in post-bac section, but I won't get as quick as response here.

My question: Is it still too late to apply for this year for the Georgetown SMP? (not for me, but a really good friend of mine who doens't use SDN)

His stats: 27MCAT(8PS,8VR,10BS) and 3.4 GPA, very good EC (i.e.research and volunteering).

I just sent him the info about Georgetown SMP. DO you think he has a chance for it this late in the process?

Thanks.

pce

I had a 3.0 and i got in after applying in march...

in general SMP type programs are for people with relatively higher mcats and relatively lower GPAs. In your case, getting a 30+ on your MCAT would do far more for you than the SMP program.

its not too late. I applied last year in late march and was accepted. The sooner the better definitely.

i don't think so (go with what tacrum says) but if your friend has applied before or already has his amcas ready, i swear the application takes 30 minutes or less so it won't be too late to start on it.

I think your "friend" ;) ;) would be better served to retake the MCAT. Although the SMP wouldn't hurt as long as your willing to put in the work.

From Georgetown's SMP page:

"Selection of candidates for acceptance to the Special Masters Program in Physiology and Biophysics is based on overall undergraduate college performance and MCAT scores. Applicants usually have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and total MCAT scores of at least 27. "

http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/physiology/physios/

Nas23 said:
If I do the SMP, I won't be able to take the MCAT, and vice versa. I don't know what to decide as a backup option. I don't know how much I can improve my MCAT and if i can break the 30 barrier. I know it's possible, but who knows what I'll get.

i think people have done it. if you don't retake it this april then do it in august. the smp website tells you what to do about august, which is basically, take it in DC even if its a few days after the smp already started. you'll have to be studying for it before you get there. i'm in the same boat as you, pretty much, as far as interviews/waitlists/score are concerned. it doesn't hurt to have a back-up...

About the MCAT, if you dont think you can do better on the MCAT this year hold off till next August (if you dont get in) because after the program you should get a great score (particualarly on the bio section.)