Answering "Tell Me About Yourself" During Interviews

Started by zamzee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zamzee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I searched this question and it didn't come up with any results at all. I'm preparing for my first med interview and one of the most common interview questions is "tell me about yourself."

The reason why interviewers would ask this question is to presumably get an overview of who you are and if you have traits desirable for a future doctor. I'm having a hard time preparing my answer for this, however, because it's such a general question. I was thinking about talking about why I first wanted to go into medicine, and then tying in other relevant experiences in my life that help confirm that so my answer isn't so general. Does anybody have any advice on this?
 
Awesome article! I can't believe that's a part of SDN - it looks totally different! Thank you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The one-two punch of informality and lack of a set or correct answer often leads the applicant to stumble. The common response by unprepared applicants is to ramble on at length.

🙁 It's true.
 
I practiced my answer to this question sooooo much. It really is great, because then the interviewer asks you to elaborate on many of the interesting things you bring up, and before you know it, you are having an organic and enjoyable conversation that leads to a positive first impression instead of an awkward interrogation session that leads to a waitlist.
 
The sample answer in that article is dreadful, however useful the advice may be:

"Hi I'm age, I live in city, I do boring premed activity A that every other premed does (research) and that's the first thing I think about when asked to define me as a person. By the way, I am more than a premed, I do interesting hobby (sailing) but it's kind of more important that you know that I do premed hobbies B and C (traveling + volunteering in other countries) and just in case you were worried, they definitely have made me a better person."
 
Early family life (where you born), parents' occupations and how that has affected you, any unique activities/situations, etc.