Anterior segment and refractive surgery fellowship at Chu Vision Institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVI_Fellow

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I remember when I was applying to fellowships, it was hard to know much about a lot of the fellowships listed on SFmatch, so I wanted to give you guys some insight into an awesome fellowship opportunity for anybody looking for an anterior segment and refractive experience. It’s a one year fellowship at the Chu Vision Institute in Minneapolis. I am the fellow there this year and so far it has been an incredible experience.

You’ll work with Ralph Chu, a leader in the field of cataract and refractive surgery in a practice that is on the cutting edge of technology and patient care.

You’ll come out of this fellowship with tons of experience in a broad range of surgery. You’ll be doing boatloads of cataract surgery (laser assisted and manual) with pretty much every kind of lens on the market. These cataracts will be done with a heavy emphasis on refractive outcomes. You’ll be doing LRIs (with a blade and a laser), on axis incisions, and learn enhancement techniques post cataract and refractive surgeries. You will have the opportunity to operate with and become comfortable on multiple phaco platforms. You’ll get experience with pretty much every MIGS device on the market, including the istent inject and hyrdus, as well as ECP. You’ll do corneal crosslinking, and other corneal surgeries including DSAEK and pterygia. Of course, you’ll also do yag caps, SLT, as well as some yag vitreolysis. And you can even do a decent number of blephs if you’re interested.

In addition to just being able to do tons of stuff, Dr. Chu is one of the best surgical teachers I’ve seen. I felt pretty good about my surgical skills coming out of residency, but in just the two months I’ve been here I feel like my skills have improved 10 fold from all the tips and tweaks to your fundamentals he teaches you throughout the day.

Even more important, though, than doing all the surgery you’ll do, you’ll learn how to talk to patients about all these technology options, set appropriate expectations and learn how to talk to patients and deal with situations when things don’t turn out the way you (or the patient) expect. This HUGE when you have a practice with a refractive focus and Dr Chu and the ODs in his team are masters at this.

And in addition to all that, there are a ton of clinical trials that the practice in involved with, so you will get to see new lenses, drugs, devices and laser systems before the rest of the world can and see what ophthalmology will be like 3-5 years in the future.

And finally, you’re going to learn everything you could want to know to be able to have and run your own private practice in the future

PM me with any questions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! This sounds awesome. I am looking for this kind of fellowship starting July 2020. Do you know if they take Canadians? Are you still enjoying the experience? Thanks!

The fellowship sounds very interesting! I would love to discuss your experience further, please PM me as it does not appear I am able to messge you directly.