Anti- and Non-aromatic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnnyD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
shouldnt this be anti-aromatic since it has 8 pi electrons? achiever says its non-aromatic

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• aro3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 40
this isn't a planar structure therefore non-aromatic. i think its just one of those random structures to keep in the back of your head

this isn't a planar structure therefore non-aromatic. i think its just one of those random structures to keep in the back of your head

:thumbup:

Chad addresses this structure specifically. It believe it usually exists in a tub shape.

shouldnt this be anti-aromatic since it has 8 pi electrons? achiever says its non-aromatic

exactly, just count the # of carbons, if its over 7 its not planar and therefore fails the planar rule and is non-aromatic.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several annulenes that are aromatic and consist of many carbons. You may want to take a look at those, they could throw one of those at you I suppose. Just memorize that one (your example), and use what wired said as the rule on the exam.

exactly, just count the # of carbons, if its over 7 its not planar and therefore fails the planar rule and is non-aromatic.

If the ring has 7 atoms or fewer we can assume that it can adopt a planar conformation. However, if a ring has more than 7 atoms it may or may not be planar. Don't just assume that it's not. Cyclooctatetraene is definitely one to remember that isn't planar though.