Antibiotic Eye Drops in Ears

Started by shaq786
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know the efficacy of using Cipro eye drop solution in the ears for a patient that can't afford Cipro-HC?
 
From a hasty Lexi Comp search, it looks like Cipro HC has 0.2% ciprofloxacin, while the ophthalmic is 0.3%. Grand scheme of things, probably not a big deal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cetraxal is a 0.2% Cipro otic drop, but I don't know how available it it. I don't think I have ever seen it actually dispensed.
 
Cetraxal is a 0.2% Cipro otic drop, but I don't know how available it it. I don't think I have ever seen it actually dispensed.
Right, that makes me think that eyes get 0.3% while ears get 0.2% Or maybe it's just some scheme so that there is no generic equivalent. Either way, Cetraxal is brand name, so probably as expensive as Cipro HC. I haven't ever dispensed it either, so I can't say for sure.