Antibiotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JordanP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I am a P3, and just started ABX in therapeutics...I am having sooo much trouble remembering what covers what, and the more I read it, the more I realize how confusing this is...does anyone have any useful tables they can please post ... it would be such a huge help.

Thank You So Much in advance, we are all in this together, after all.

Sincerely,
Jordan P.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

I am a P3, and just started ABX in therapeutics...I am having sooo much trouble remembering what covers what, and the more I read it, the more I realize how confusing this is...does anyone have any useful tables they can please post ... it would be such a huge help.

Thank You So Much in advance, we are all in this together, after all.

Sincerely,
Jordan P.

Are you going to school at NSU? We get a lot of these type of Antimicrobial questions from students from your school.... y'all must have a very poor Infectious Disease department...

Members don't see this ad :)
except for the ones it doesn't cover...

No way dude, every patient that comes in with a cough and stuffy nose, a Z-pack always does the trick.

You forgot runny nose and sore throat.

Seen the Z-pack do wonders for that infectious condition in 3 - 7 days as well. See, BROAD SPECTRUM, I am convinced it has antiviral activity.

Seen the Z-pack do wonders for that infectious condition in 3 - 7 days as well. See, BROAD SPECTRUM, I am convinced it has antiviral activity.

You know...it's the unwritten, unspoken rule of ID that Zpak works for aerobes and anaerobes...virus and fungus.. and it's really cidal instead of static.. it is the cure all for everything. The most important effect is on moms who think their kid must get an antibiotic. So it's the best sedative/hypnotics with the most calming effect to idiot parents.

My favorite quote in a while from a recent editorial in Clinical Infectious Diseases:

"....should be comfortable making the following statement to most of their patients with acute respiratory tract infections: 'For your infection, there is an ~1/4000 chance that an antibiotic will prevent a serious complication, a 5 - 25% chance that it will cause diarrhea, and an ~1/1000 chance that you will require a visit to the emergency department because of a bad reaction to the antibiotic.'"

Linder JA. CID 2008;47:744-746.

Thinking of making it my signature, but I like the current one too much to let go...

Zpak didn't work? Ok try this, it's called a tri-pak because it's three times stronger!

edit: sorry for ****ting up your post Mr. P3, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some useful information for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zpak didn't work? Ok try this, it's called a tri-pak because it's three times stronger!

edit: sorry for ****ting up your post Mr. P3, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some useful information for you.

:nod: We just started ID today as well - give me a month, and I'll get back to ya.

I hear Zyvox is an excellent and cost effective alternative to vanco:eek:

No such thing as superfluous prescribing, don't you know patients want an Rx for their runny nose?! Otherwise they stop forking over their $20 copays and just take Airborne.

Chloramphenicol. Go into every situation suggesting it. Nobody on the planet remembers what the hell it does and there isn't anybody out there that will actually look it up. You'll look like a GENIUS.

My favorite quote in a while from a recent editorial in Clinical Infectious Diseases:

"....should be comfortable making the following statement to most of their patients with acute respiratory tract infections: 'For your infection, there is an ~1/4000 chance that an antibiotic will prevent a serious complication, a 5 - 25% chance that it will cause diarrhea, and an ~1/1000 chance that you will require a visit to the emergency department because of a bad reaction to the antibiotic.'"

Linder JA. CID 2008;47:744-746.

Thinking of making it my signature, but I like the current one too much to let go...

Heh.

a friend's hospital uses colistin not irregularly.

scary!

a friend's hospital uses colistin not irregularly.

scary!

Sad to say, I've gotten a fair amount of experience using colistin during my ID and MICU rotations as a resident. Yeah for large urban teaching hospitals and patients who pathogens resistant to everything!