antibonding orbitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering how do I tell if a molecule is going to have antibonding orbitals? From google, it seems like diatomic molecules would have those, is that true?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering how do I tell if a molecule is going to have antibonding orbitals? From google, it seems like diatomic molecules would have those, is that true?

Thanks so much!
Every atom and every molecule has antibonding orbitals, the number of bonding orbitals equals the number of antibonding orbitals.

Hope this helps Nick..

take care..Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for your help! So, for #73 in DAT Destroyer orgo, how do we know if there are any electrons in the antibonding orbitals? Or do we just assume there's none because it wasn't given in the question?

Thank you so much again!

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for your help! So, for #73 in DAT Destroyer orgo, how do we know if there are any electrons in the antibonding orbitals? Or do we just assume there's none because it wasn't given in the question?

Thank you so much again!

Anytime you see a neutral molecule always assume electrons populate the lower energy bonding orbitals. Antibonding orbitals are important when dealing with the excited state or when a nucleophile attacks a molecule from the backside, such as that seen in an SN2 reaction.

Consider benzene.......there are six orbitals......3 are bonding......and 3 are antibonding.....Like all aromatic compounds, electrons only populate the bonding molecular orbitals. The antibonding orbitals remain unfilled.

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user