Anticipating this dilemna

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mk2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading about some of the changes for the MCAT in 2015 as well as the idea of taking a gap year and things of that nature. It's a bit early to be worrying about this stuff, but I guess its just the neuroticism getting the better of me. As a sophomore, I would likely be taking the MCAT in 2014 and graduating in 2015. There's a few predicaments that come with being this year.

The first is that if I do not do well on the 2014 MCAT to the point which I would have to retake (though I do not plan on retaking) the re-take would be the new, 2015 MCAT.

The next thought that I had is if I were to take a gap year to study for the MCAT distracted, I would also have to take the new MCAT. This would be the inaugural year for it and nobody would really know what to expect to effectively study.

I'm not really looking for advice at this point since its so early, but I was wonding how everyone feels about this.

Thoughts?

Note: if any of my information is incorrect or my thought process is wrong here, thus negating my question, please point it out.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert on this, but isn't the MCAT graded relative to the rest of the people taking the test? So isn't this a moot point?

I'm no expert on this, but isn't the MCAT graded relative to the rest of the people taking the test? So isn't this a moot point?

Yep, that's how the MCAT is scored, but it isn't relevant to the post. The OP's point was that he/she is concerned about taking the new MCAT without being able to sufficiently prepare for it. In all honesty, if I were you OP, I would try and take the MCAT before 2015 (as long as you're scoring high enough on AAMC practice tests).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea how the new MCAT will be graded but I think it's been "confirmed" that the questions are graded historically against others. So just because everyone on a July 27, 2014 test did bad does not mean anyone is getting over a 35. They could very well still get a 7 if they performed worse than people who answered the same questions years or months before.

The 2015 MCAT will have practice materials and review materials provided by AAMC, so you will know what to study if you take it again in 2015 or take it in a gap year. You can always take an earlier MCAT in 2014, and if you are unhappy with your score, take it again a little later in 2014.

It's true, but knowing what to prepare for and using good prep materials and dramatically improve one's performance on the MCAT regardless of intelligence.

How hard/easy is it to make a 30?

I guess a better question would be... can any average person, with enough studying (like 2 months) score a 30 or higher?

I would say so. The average for medical school matriculants nationally is 32, so it is not that difficult to score 30 especially within accepted medical students. The average for the MCAT overall, not just current medical students, is a 28, so it is a little more difficult, but if anyone puts in enough time, they should be able to score 30.

How hard/easy is it to make a 30?

I guess a better question would be... can any average person, with enough studying (like 2 months) score a 30 or higher?

I am wondering this too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling