Antidepressant question regarding cymbalta and lexapro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evoviiigsr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not a pharmacy student here, just researching antidepressants, specifically duloxotine, escitalopram, and desipramine. I've been trying to find data on how strong of an effect these drugs have on serotonin (ignorign NE) reuptake, without much luck (pre-med so it's not my forte). Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

PubMed or PsychINFO databases should have some studies comparing them. I am assuming you are looking for their "strength" relative to one another. There is a psychopharmacology book by an author with the last name Stahl that does a superb job of explaining mechanisms and effects as well. I am not at home so I cannot give you the full citation. You can probably find it on Amazon.

EDIT: be aware of any open-label studies or studies funded by the pharma company that makes the drug.

PubMed or PsychINFO databases should have some studies comparing them. I am assuming you are looking for their "strength" relative to one another. There is a psychopharmacology book by an author with the last name Stahl that does a superb job of explaining mechanisms and effects as well. I am not at home so I cannot give you the full citation. You can probably find it on Amazon.

EDIT: be aware of any open-label studies or studies funded by the pharma company that makes the drug.

Thanks but I don't have access to PubMed full texts, and plus every study I find are clinical trials. I don't care about what is most effective in treating depression, just their relative affinities for 5ht reuptake pumps. It's not for anything important anyways, just curiosity, don't want to get a book for that. Thought someone might know off the top of their head or know exactly where to look. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Citalopram and Escitalopram (the s-enantiomer) are the highest selective SSRIs.

Yes, but is escitalopram more effective or less effective than duloxotine when it comes to increasing serotonin levels alone?

It really depends on the patients. Drugs don't work the same for everyone. But I would think that escitalopram is more effective.

edit: yeah yeah medical advice blabla :)

Last edited:
I foresee a thread closure.

Duloxetine and escitalopram inhibit serotonin reuptake equally. Duloxetine also inhibit norepinephrine wheres escitalopram does not. As far as desipramine goes, it is the weakest serotonin reuptake inhibitor of the 3 and in the whole TCA class for that matter.

Duloxetine and escitalopram inhibit serotonin reuptake equally. Duloxetine also inhibit norepinephrine wheres escitalopram does not. As far as desipramine goes, it is the weakest serotonin reuptake inhibitor of the 3 and in the whole TCA class for that matter.

Now that is what I call an awesome response! Seems like duloxetine is a great drug in theory, but it seems like venlafaxine is all the rave and I've heard that duloxetine is not very effective when compared to other SNRIs and even SSRIs? Is there any truth to this? Now that I've delved into antidepressants I have a compulsive urge to try to learn all that I can, can't hurt for my future patients :D Don't really have a pharmacist buddies to pharm talk with

We have a doc that loves cymbalta for neuropathy and prefers it over gaba

Not a pharmacy student here, just researching antidepressants, specifically duloxotine, escitalopram, and desipramine. I've been trying to find data on how strong of an effect these drugs have on serotonin (ignorign NE) reuptake, without much luck (pre-med so it's not my forte). Any help would be appreciated!

Rule of thumb, potency at a particular receptor is given by inhibition constant K. The larger the K, the less potent.

K for SERT receptor are (from Goodman & Gilman):
Escitalopram - 1.10
Duloxetine - 1.55
Desipramine - 17.5

Thus, in rank of potency at SERT:
Despiramine <<< Duloxetine <= Escitalopram

Status
Not open for further replies.