Questions regarding residency and the mid-year 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BunBoHue10thousands

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a PY4 student who would love to make a fabulous impression to the preceptors at the ASHP mid-year in December 2021. I have got some questions about it and I was hoping that I could seek some guidance here.

1. My plan is to match with a VA hospital, preferably in CA, that offers PGY1 residency with the option of oncology elective. I want compare the hospitals based on the researches that they conduct. Besides the information you can find on their brochures, is there any possible ways to find more information for each hospital?
2. At the conference, I would like to introduce myself and answer their questions tailored to each specific preceptor. Is there a way to find out more information for the residency program preceptors?
3. My family is not wealthy, must I wear fancy suits to the conference?

Your advice will be much appreciated and any tips that you find useful or even your experience at an ASHP mid-year conference are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Most VAs are not very good for onc (there might be one or 2 that are outliers). Even if you do an onc elective, it will likely not be as clinical as you would want it to be, so an academic medical center might be better for you if you want an onc PGY2. Durham, NC VA is one of the outliers to this as it has an onc PGY2 and seems to have had several onc jobs posted lately (don't know anyone at this VA so no idea how working at that VA actually is).

As far as a suit, yes you need to wear one that fits appropriately (though doesn't have to be fancy). We do talk about interviewees' clothing when selecting candidates, but only if they are not dressed professionally.

Reactions: 1 users
As the above poster suggested, VA + Good oncology experience will be severely limiting. Locally, veterans with cancer are referred to the AMC instead of being treated at the VA (the VA is not a small one either).

What makes you want to limit yourself to a VA?

As far as addressing specific preceptors, there is only a small chance that you will be able to meet any individual preceptor at Midyear. Many don't go, and even not all of those that do participate in showcase. Some programs only have the RPD/RPC and some current residents participate in showcase.

You may be able to find out some information about preceptors from program websites. Many have a list of preceptors. You can also try searching PubMed to look for publications , but be careful of researchers with similar names.

Yes to a suit. You will need it for interviews anyway. It doesn't have to be fancy, so it is okay to shop at lower cost stores. If you have a Kohl's nearby, I have gotten a couple of suits there that have held up well. I also suggest that you look for a local tailor. Tailoring a suit can be a lot cheaper than you think (I think I paid $12 last time) and can make a big difference in fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most VAs are not very good for onc (there might be one or 2 that are outliers). Even if you do an onc elective, it will likely not be as clinical as you would want it to be, so an academic medical center might be better for you if you want an onc PGY2. Durham, NC VA is one of the outliers to this as it has an onc PGY2 and seems to have had several onc jobs posted lately (don't know anyone at this VA so no idea how working at that VA actually is).

As far as a suit, yes you need to wear one that fits appropriately (though doesn't have to be fancy). We do talk about interviewees' clothing when selecting candidates, but only if they are not dressed professionally.
Thank you for the information! It seems like that I should send an email to every VA PGY1 residency site that offer oncology elective for more information. I should send an email to some PGY2 programs as well! That might help guide me to make my decision.

I see, it's good to know that it does not have to be fancy. I do have suits, but they are more loose for work purposes. I will have to do some homework on how to acquire suit that fits properly with lower costs!

As the above poster suggested, VA + Good oncology experience will be severely limiting. Locally, veterans with cancer are referred to the AMC instead of being treated at the VA (the VA is not a small one either).

What makes you want to limit yourself to a VA?

As far as addressing specific preceptors, there is only a small chance that you will be able to meet any individual preceptor at Midyear. Many don't go, and even not all of those that do participate in showcase. Some programs only have the RPD/RPC and some current residents participate in showcase.

You may be able to find out some information about preceptors from program websites. Many have a list of preceptors. You can also try searching PubMed to look for publications , but be careful of researchers with similar names.

Yes to a suit. You will need it for interviews anyway. It doesn't have to be fancy, so it is okay to shop at lower cost stores. If you have a Kohl's nearby, I have gotten a couple of suits there that have held up well. I also suggest that you look for a local tailor. Tailoring a suit can be a lot cheaper than you think (I think I paid $12 last time) and can make a big difference in fit.
It is good to know the reality, I will definitely send some emails to see if I can get more information regarding their residency programs.

The main reasons that motivate me to get into VA are loan forgiveness, pension, and provider status. Money is a big factor because my main goal is to take care of my mother.

It is unfortunately to hear that, but it also take some pressure off of me for some reasons. Since, it will be my last time to go to a conference as a student, I am still interested to attend the conference (if I can afford) and give my best performance! ... my apologies for my ignorance, what are RPD/RPC?

What a genius idea and thanks for the reminder! I will look for their publications and watch out for similar names!

Thank you for telling me that, I do have problem with suits not fitting well. I always assume it would cost hundreds to see a tailor! I will search for them on google!

It is good to know the reality, I will definitely send some emails to see if I can get more information regarding their residency programs.

The main reasons that motivate me to get into VA are loan forgiveness, pension, and provider status. Money is a big factor because my main goal is to take care of my mother.

It is unfortunately to hear that, but it also take some pressure off of me for some reasons. Since, it will be my last time to go to a conference as a student, I am still interested to attend the conference (if I can afford) and give my best performance! ... my apologies for my ignorance, what are RPD/RPC?

What a genius idea and thanks for the reminder! I will look for their publications and watch out for similar names!

Thank you for telling me that, I do have problem with suits not fitting well. I always assume it would cost hundreds to see a tailor! I will search for them on google!

Don't bank on EDRP (the loan repayment program). It's a great program, but only some positions are earmarked for the program, as pharmacists aren't in demand anymore. Pension is good in the long run, but keep in mind you have to put away 4.4% of your salary for it, so it's not as great as people think it is. I would say e-mailing every program with an onc elective is overkill. Just start with PGY1 programs in hospitals that have an onc PGY2, and talk to those at Midyear. If you are very dead set on California, I guess doesn't hurt to talk to some of the big VAs there as well even if they don't have an onc PGY2...and now you have a fairly narrow list of programs to talk to. I would still encourage talking to some big academic medical centers.

Reactions: 1 user
So, while a VA residency increases your chance of getting a job at a large VA it isn't a guarantee.
There are also other forgiveness programs like PSLF that you should look into. I would never count on any retirement program (pension or otherwise) enough to use it as a reason to get into a particular employer.

RPD = Residency Program Director
RPC = Residency Program Coordinator (sort of an assistant RPD)

EDRP is very few and far between. As mentioned earlier, it's usually in extremely undesirable locations, or fairly desirable for some people but you have to be fluent in Spanish (reference current GS-13 position open in San Juan, PR.) Residency certainly isn't a guarantee at the VA either. We had four here last year. Two went on to PGY-2s (one here, one elsewhere) and the others didn't get hired here.

The VA is the last place where I would want to do a residency.

The VA is the last place where I would want to do a residency.
Eh, the VA has treated me pretty well so far. I think it depends on the VA and what you want to do with your life. I'm over clinical, but I think I'd be over it after 8 years regardless of where I did residency. The VA definitely has its pros and cons though, and depends on the individual VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, the VA has treated me pretty well so far. I think it depends on the VA and what you want to do with your life. I'm over clinical, but I think I'd be over it after 8 years regardless of where I did residency. The VA definitely has its pros and cons though, and depends on the individual VA.
I think you're the exception to the rule. It depends on which clinical route you want to take. Ifs it acute care, then I would stay away from the VA as the private sector far exceeds it. On the another hand, Ambcare is where the VA excels at but the private sector is catching up fast. As for clinical, I'm over it too and can't stand it anymore. My biggest problem with VA is the corrupt Pharmacy leadership and their lack of governance.

I think you're the exception to the rule. It depends on which clinical route you want to take. Ifs it acute care, then I would stay away from the VA as the private sector far exceeds it. On the another hand, Ambcare is where the VA excels at but the private sector is catching up fast. As for clinical, I'm over it too and can't stand it anymore. My biggest problem with VA is the corrupt Pharmacy leadership and their lack of governance.
Idk, I've worked at 3 VAs, and at 2 of them the majority of the staff liked working at the VA for the most part. There are a few bad VAs though, and yours might be one of them. I have no intention of ever leaving federal employment, and neither do many of my coworkers.

I bought my wedding suit at Kohls lol

I also like working at mine, though there are a few things I don't like but I have not had an problems with management. I will say that the secretive bonuses they keep giving out has been nagging at me. Some employees were given a couple grand for work related to the COVID vaccine clinics and were told by leadership "not to tell anyone about it."

I also like working at mine, though there are a few things I don't like but I have not had an problems with management. I will say that the secretive bonuses they keep giving out has been nagging at me. Some employees were given a couple grand for work related to the COVID vaccine clinics and were told by leadership "not to tell anyone about it."
Are we at the same VA? Same thing happened here.
Edit: nevermind I see that you're in the Midwest. I guess it's a pervasive problem throughout the VA.

that is the biggest load of BS ever - you know that is going to get out - and going to absolutely create a toxic atmosphere.

Are we at the same VA? Same thing happened here.
Edit: nevermind I see that you're in the Midwest. I guess it's a pervasive problem throughout the VA.
Same issue here at the VA I work at. Management got a bonus during the pandemic while the staff got nothing.

that is the biggest load of BS ever - you know that is going to get out - and going to absolutely create a toxic atmosphere.
Can't comment on other VAs but the VA I work has a very toxic work environment. I feel sorry for the Pharmacy residents who have to come to this dump.

There were two rounds of bonuses that I've heard about. First was for outpatient pharmacists, which was complete bullcrap. Technicians didn't get anything and there was almost a riot down there. This most recent time around, a friend of mine who got the bonus was asking two of us if we had any idea what it was for. Of course we said no, then he came back and said he was told a couple days later not to tell anyone about it, but of course it was already too late.

Same issue here at the VA I work at. Management got a bonus during the pandemic while the staff got nothing.
Oh? So the $600 COVID bonus wasn't for everyone nationwide? Didn't know that....some people got more though.

Most dry cleaners have a tailor who can help you with simple adjustments. A professional tailor who only does tailoring would be expensive and unnecessary unless you are getting something made from scratch. Suits of different price categories do look different, but no one would hold suit quality against a new grad. It only stands out when someone is flashing an expensive watch and driving a fancy car yet wearing obviously cheap suit (cloth itself looks different, seaming, etc. - not everything can be fixed by tailoring), that just invites snark.

Anyway, the attitude you project is the most important thing in any interview, and it's 100% free to develop.

Reactions: 1 user