Step II Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Why elevated PTT?

Started by mjmdjd1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mjmdjd1

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In Antiphospholipid Antibody syndrome, we have autoantibodies(ie anticardiolipin or lupus anticoagulant) against proteins bound to phospholipids. And we know that for example, Lupus Anticoagulant, prevents coagulation since it's an anticoagulant. This would mean that it would increase the PTT aka bleeding(just how I think of it in my head).

Why do we then get arterial and venous thrombosis if the anticoagulant is present? and why do we then require lifelong anticoagulation(again, since anticoagulant is already present)?

I feel like I'm screwing up concepts here big time :-/

P.S. Be nice