Medical Anxiety, bordering on anxiety attack, during MMI - Did I ruin my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MMI went terribly. I suffer with anxiety and was bordering on having an anxiety attack (or possibly a panic attack. It felt very out of the blue because I haven't had it to that extent in years, and I've gone through MMIs previously and did not feel this way.)

Anyway, in every single station at some point I had to apologize and say "I'm sorry, I am very anxious at the moment and need a second to think about what I'm saying".

I know I can't change this. But I guess I'm just wondering if anyone ever is able to redeem themselves if they are an anxious mess in this? Do the interviewers ever give some leeway to this kind of anxiety? Would any good have come from raising that I was having a panic attack to the staff, or would it be futile and they assume it is simple nerves?

After I apologized, they all immediately broke any stone face and were encouraging and kind towards me. But I think it was just out of sympathy and I have no chance.

I'm frustrated with myself for this. My anxiety for the most part is not debilitating, but this was a whole other story and felt out of my control.

Thank you.
Just wondering, did this happen in any mock interview or mock MMI practice?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Only in the MMI this year. Not in any practice or the real MMI I did last year. It was a panic attack and if I hadn't experienced it years later I may have literally thought something was happening to me.

Members don't see this ad.

My MMI went terribly. I suffer with anxiety and was bordering on having an anxiety attack (or possibly a panic attack. It felt very out of the blue because I haven't had it to that extent in years, and I've gone through MMIs previously and did not feel this way.)

Anyway, in every single station at some point I had to apologize and say "I'm sorry, I am very anxious at the moment and need a second to think about what I'm saying".

I know I can't change this. But I guess I'm just wondering if anyone ever is able to redeem themselves if they are an anxious mess in this? Do the interviewers ever give some leeway to this kind of anxiety? Would any good have come from raising that I was having a panic attack to the staff, or would it be futile and they assume it is simple nerves?

After I apologized, they all immediately broke any stone face and were encouraging and kind towards me. But I think it was just out of sympathy and I have no chance.

I'm frustrated with myself for this. My anxiety for the most part is not debilitating, but this was a whole other story and felt out of my control.

Thank you.
Very sorry to hear this, but I can't sugar coat this. While my school doesn't do MMIs, if you behaved that way in our interview format, I wouldn't cut you any slack.

If you can't control your anxiety during an interview, how could you possible deal with an acting out psychotic patient, or handle a spurting artery from a MVA victim??? In addition, medical is a furnace, and will only make your mental health issues worse.

So, regroup, seek professional help and get the anxiety under control.
Thank you for your response.

I do get what you're saying. I am frustrated with myself though because I've worked in the medical field for a decade and my anxiety has not interfered with my work with patients during that time. I have been in those tough patient circumstances - e.g. a patient with psychosis, code blues etc and I have excelled and been commended for it.

I do understand I need to sort it though. It was unusual and unexpected for it to come out as a panic attack because I work in the field everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.