Anxiety over quitting Zanki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Week before my COMLEX and two days ago I stopped doing Zanki reviews except for Pharm and Micro. I already took step and I was just getting exhausted between some family obligations, practice questions, and trying to rest up.

I'm honestly getting some anxiety over NOT doing Zanki every day. I had my reviews down to like 90 minutes. Now I'm feeling a bit like, "Well I put all this work in and now I'm going to forget EVERYTHING I learned."

Is there any value to keeping up reviews over 3rd year? Will the information stick because I'll pick it up studying for shelf/comat? Should I just relax and move onto a Step 2 deck and call it a day?

Members don't see this ad.

I quit Zanki after Covid hit. Everything went fine.

Unless you only have 100-200 reviews per day then continuing ZANKI STEP 1 decks would be a waste of time.

Reactions: 2 users
I had 350. So it was getting there. At this point its like, "Is there any value in retaining this information into third year." I guess.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Week before my COMLEX and two days ago I stopped doing Zanki reviews except for Pharm and Micro. I already took step and I was just getting exhausted between some family obligations, practice questions, and trying to rest up.

I'm honestly getting some anxiety over NOT doing Zanki every day. I had my reviews down to like 90 minutes. Now I'm feeling a bit like, "Well I put all this work in and now I'm going to forget EVERYTHING I learned."

Is there any value to keeping up reviews over 3rd year? Will the information stick because I'll pick it up studying for shelf/comat? Should I just relax and move onto a Step 2 deck and call it a day?
Move on. The information needed for 3rd year is different than the first 2 years

Reactions: 1 user
I felt this. At times I’ve wished I kept up with sketchy decks. But now it’s time to start applying that info. You’re just legitimately not going to have time to review stuff for 90 minutes/day that you probably already know. I think I actually started understanding the info better when I had to dig in my memory banks a little for it vs always having it at the forefront.

Is there any value to keeping up reviews over 3rd year?
No, the new black hole for your limited studying time is UWorld Step 2, plus or minus extra resources specific to the rotation you're currently on

Reactions: 1 users
The new Anking deck for step 2 includes relevant cards from the step 1 deck, as well as some sketchy micro/pharm throw backs, so if you switch to using that deck you won’t completely lose your Zanki knowledge.

The new Anking deck for step 2 includes relevant cards from the step 1 deck, as well as some sketchy micro/pharm throw backs, so if you switch to using that deck you won’t completely lose your Zanki knowledge.
Do people have time to do that deck? Aren't there a ton of cards?

Do people have time to do that deck? Aren't there a ton of cards?
I’ve heard a lot of people just do the cheesy Dorian cards from the deck. I’m just saying, the relevant cards are there if it’s really giving someone anxiety over forgetting step 1 material.

LOL I never started it;) saving myself from the heartbreak

Appreciate all the replies. I'm honestly excited to quit. Its a great memory tool but I just got to dreading it each day. Think I will keep my 30 or so Pharm cards.

So for shelf preparation I just want to get UWorld? Studying as a third year, specifically shelf/comat, is kind of mind boggling. I don't even have a good conception of what a day looks like.
1) Hospital
2) Go home and cook?
3) Read up on what today's patient has? Do UWorld? Assigned readings?

What's this Up To Date I keep hearing about?

Appreciate all the replies. I'm honestly excited to quit. Its a great memory tool but I just got to dreading it each day. Think I will keep my 30 or so Pharm cards.

So for shelf preparation I just want to get UWorld? Studying as a third year, specifically shelf/comat, is kind of mind boggling. I don't even have a good conception of what a day looks like.
1) Hospital
2) Go home and cook?

It’s highly variable. It really depends how much weight your school puts on the shelf exam. Like if it’s only 10% of your grade, you just make sure not to fail it and barely study the whole year and still get honors. If it’s 80% of your grade, then I hope your prepared for pain.

1) Hospital
2) Go home and cook?

UpToDate is a magical website. It’s essentially a perpetually updated online encyclopedia of medical practice standards, expert opinions, current research, etc.

Your school probably covers a subscription cost for your class.

Some of it was beyond the scope of M1/2, but moving into clinical years & definitely residency it seems to be the standard for reference.