Anxious about Ross Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spdvm99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! First off, sorry if this is kind of a repeat post, I had trouble finding others. Anyways, I just got accepted to Ross Vet School for May 2021 (very last minute, they even bumped my interview date up by a month and have been fast tracking my welcome packets and things). I’ve been about two hours away from home for four years now in undergrad, but I’ve been able to come home on weekends and see friends and family. It’s not that I’m not excited about vet school, but I’m also TERRIFIED. Like every time I think about leaving, I cry and get all anxious. I’m also very nervous about the curriculum. I know I can do it, but it’s like my brain focuses on all of the stories of people studying 24/7 and still failing, and vet school being so horrible for mental health, etc. I would wait and reapply at my IS school, but I’m ready to be a vet and with a GPA of 3.3, I don’t want to risk wasting a year and losing my place at Ross. I feel bad because I feel like I should be more excited about vet school, but I’m just upset about leaving. I’m planning to take my dog or cat with me, which will help for sure, and with the first semester being half online, I get a little extra time to adapt to the idea of moving. Is it normal to be this anxious about it, though? I guess I could just use some support or advice about moving.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to discourage you, but I feel if you are having this much anxiety about this decision maybe it's not the best decision at this time. My suggestion would be to seek some professional help about this before you make any final decisions. It's important to be in a good place mentally before embarking on this journey.
I moved 1300 miles away for vet school and while I was sad to be leaving basically everyone and everything I knew it wasn't a super anxiety inducing decision like you're describing. Moving to the island is even more stressful than just moving across the country along with all the logistics for bringing pets and the accelerated didactic portion of vet school at Ross.
I also encourage you if you decide to ultimately not attend to not think of the extra year as being wasted-make it worth your time ie get more hours, use that time to get in a good place mentally, save money, etc. I personally encourage people to take as much gap time as they need to be ready, because it can be really difficult road for some and if you can come in with your best self is really the best thing you can do.
Good luck in your decision, my pm box is always open if you want to talk more.
Maybe @FutureFelineVet has some helpful tips & advice since they're at Ross

Reactions: 6 users
Not to discourage you, but I feel if you are having this much anxiety about this decision maybe it's not the best decision at this time. My suggestion would be to seek some professional help about this before you make any final decisions. It's important to be in a good place mentally before embarking on this journey.
I moved 1300 miles away for vet school and while I was sad to be leaving basically everyone and everything I knew it wasn't a super anxiety inducing decision like you're describing. Moving to the island is even more stressful than just moving across the country along with all the logistics for bringing pets and the accelerated didactic portion of vet school at Ross.
I also encourage you if you decide to ultimately not attend to not think of the extra year as being wasted-make it worth your time ie get more hours, use that time to get in a good place mentally, save money, etc. I personally encourage people to take as much gap time as they need to be ready, because it can be really difficult road for some and if you can come in with your best self is really the best thing you can do.
Good luck in your decision, my pm box is always open if you want to talk more.
Maybe @FutureFelineVet has some helpful tips & advice since they're at Ross
Thank you for answering so honestly, I’m definitely taking it into consideration. I just feel like so many people are so excited for me, part of me doesn’t want to tell the world “hey, nevermind on that”. Ya know? I also feel like I’ll regret it if I don’t go...

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally understand that. I would hope if after seeking some help that IF you choose not to go that your support system will understand and be supportive in that decision-especially if the people closest to you who know why. Or conversely if you decide to attend that they will be equally supportive of you!
I know of a person who applied to and was accepted to Ross. They declined ultimately and reapplied to their IS several years later and were accepted. They were ecstatic about their decision. All this to say it's your journey and there's no right way or timeline to it.
It's a huge decision to make for sure and the "what ifs" never help.

Reactions: 1 user
I totally understand that. I would hope if after seeking some help that IF you choose not to go that your support system will understand and be supportive in that decision-especially if the people closest to you who know why. Or conversely if you decide to attend that they will be equally supportive of you!
I know of a person who applied to and was accepted to Ross. They declined ultimately and reapplied to their IS several years later and were accepted. They were ecstatic about their decision. All this to say it's your journey and there's no right way or timeline to it.
It's a huge decision to make for sure and the "what ifs" never help.
Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this helps to hear, no matter what I decide

Hey there, you can always feel free to shoot me a message—I’m happy to answer any questions you have about the school or living on island! I agree with @MixedAnimals77 that if it is causing this much anxiety it might be good to step back and talk with a mental health professional, especially because they will give you the third party outlook that you’re not going to get from talking to friends or family. Vet school is really mentally and physically exhausting, so it’s not something I would rush into at all. Taking some time off is not bad at all (I took a year off!). I think it’s important to feel comfortable and confident in your school choice. I have seen a few students that have really had a hard time adjusting to the island and it just makes school that much harder.

I’ve been really happy with my decision to attend Ross and I love the island, but being away from family (particularly right now with covid, since travel is restricted) has been hard. I’ve made so many amazing friends, which helps, but I miss my family a lot. I’m starting clinics in September and am really excited to be going back “home” (aka to the States) so I can be closer to them.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey there, you can always feel free to shoot me a message—I’m happy to answer any questions you have about the school or living on island! I agree with @MixedAnimals77 that if it is causing this much anxiety it might be good to step back and talk with a mental health professional, especially because they will give you the third party outlook that you’re not going to get from talking to friends or family. Vet school is really mentally and physically exhausting, so it’s not something I would rush into at all. Taking some time off is not bad at all (I took a year off!). I think it’s important to feel comfortable and confident in your school choice. I have seen a few students that have really had a hard time adjusting to the island and it just makes school that much harder.

I’ve been really happy with my decision to attend Ross and I love the island, but being away from family (particularly right now with covid, since travel is restricted) has been hard. I’ve made so many amazing friends, which helps, but I miss my family a lot. I’m starting clinics in September and am really excited to be going back “home” (aka to the States) so I can be closer to them.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!!
Thank you so much, I definitely will! For now, I’ve decided to wait and not go to Ross this year. I’m going to take the year to work on my application, give my IS school and some closer to home schools a try, then if nothing else I’ll try Ross or somewhere again when I feel more ready. I appreciate the advice so much!!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone! When you got your acceptance to Toss did they just call you randomly or did they email to ask a good time/number? I’m just curious how their process works because I’m waiting to hear a decision

Hey everyone! When you got your acceptance to Toss did they just call you randomly or did they email to ask a good time/number? I’m just curious how their process works because I’m waiting to hear a decision
I can't remember exactly but I do remember just getting the main call, no head's up. I think I got a call and then a confirmation email right after. It was super random and they called me late at night but I also was a last minute admission (they called to offer me an interview literally in the February before the semester wouldve started) so it might've just been them rushing, it could be different for you.

I figured I'd give an update incase anyone reads this, since you guys were so helpful! I actually ended up turning down the seat and planned on working at a local clinic while I tried again the next year. However, literally a month before my in-state school was supposed to start classes, someone dropped and I got pulled off the waitlist so I'm currently going into my last exams/final exams of my first semester! God has his timing and Ross just wasn't the plan, it all worked out :)

Reactions: 4 users
I can't remember exactly but I do remember just getting the main call, no head's up. I think I got a call and then a confirmation email right after. It was super random and they called me late at night but I also was a last minute admission (they called to offer me an interview literally in the February before the semester wouldve started) so it might've just been them rushing, it could be different for you.
Thank you! I forgot I posted in here. I did end up getting an email asking for a good time to call me