Any <30 MCATers with acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious... Sorta need a pick me up of some sort. Haven't gotten word from my best-chance school (UMDNJ-RWJ) so I'm assuming I'm rejected. It'd be nice to hear from <30 MCAT acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 30 with a 3.45 gpa and 3 acceptances.

I also didn't turn in my secondaries until the beginning of September so my first interview was in december. Don't start worrying yet.

You can see my MDapps and see that I so far have 1 MD and 1 DO acceptance. I also have two more MD interviews and 1 MD waitlist...

Hope that helps you! I know seeing other people with the oh-so-close to 30 but still so far away 29 helped me fell a little better :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can see my MDapps and see that I so far have 1 MD and 1 DO acceptance. I also have two more MD interviews and 1 MD waitlist...

Hope that helps you! I know seeing other people with the oh-so-close to 30 but still so far away 29 helped me fell a little better :)

Do you plan on the MD school or are you considering the DO school?

28R accepted to Loyola Stritch......... yes i am puerto rican.

One of my best friends was just accepted to VCU for next year - took the MCAT twice and got a 26 and a 27. That is an in-state acceptance, though, and my friend had a 4.0 GPA.

I have a 30R and a modest GPA high 3.6 and I got 6 interviews so far. Hopefully, I can snap one or more acceptances and show that even average people can achieve great heights! I enjoy reading stories of accomplishment.

I have a 30R and a modest GPA high 3.6 and I got 6 interviews so far. Hopefully, I can snap one or more acceptances and show that even average people can achieve great heights! I enjoy reading stories of accomplishment.

Hey mind me asking when you completed most of your secondaries? I have the exact same stats as you but I just completed my secondaries. Thanks for sharing though, I feel a little better knowing you got 6 interviews!

I don't have a whole lot yet, but with my 28 and 3.6 (but upward trend), I've had two in state interviews. And my MCAT has only been released for 2 weeks, so I'm still hopeful. But man, I feel your pain. Waiting around and feeling crappy cuz you were just below where your MCAT needs to be is rough. But when a school gives an average MCAT, by definition, there are plenty below, and plenty above.

Hey, I really need to get off SDN and do something productive with my life (lol). In regards to your question, most my of secondaries were complete by late July or mid-to-late August. I think applying early really helped me because I consider myself as an average Joe, with a few unique life/ec experiences. The interview invites have been coming in kinda slow lately, but I have faith that things will work out in the end. The wait game is tough, but we'll get through this! Woohooo!

I have a 28, 3.6 GPA, and was accepted at 1 MD and 1 DO thus far. However, I had a very upward undergrad GPA trend, have a wide variety of extracurriculars, and will have taken two years off prior to starting med school.

One of my best friends was just accepted to VCU for next year - took the MCAT twice and got a 26 and a 27. That is an in-state acceptance, though, and my friend had a 4.0 GPA.
From a completely objective standpoint, how does one get a 4.0 GPA but 26 and 27 on the MCAT? So bizarre to me.

Very nice thread, though! :thumbup:

28R accepted early decision to university of kansas. I'm IS too so that helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a completely objective standpoint, how does one get a 4.0 GPA but 26 and 27 on the MCAT? So bizarre to me.

Very nice thread, though! :thumbup:

Multiple reasons....
1) Bad test taker, underpressure
2)Didn't prepare enough/or got cocky

And i'd say the 3rd one is the most common, which is that undergraduate systems vary, some go to more compeititive schools than others. So it is easier to get A's sometimes, but I am not trying to put down the person who posted that...but it is a possibility.

Multiple reasons....
1) Bad test taker, underpressure
2)Didn't prepare enough/or got cocky

And i'd say the 3rd one is the most common, which is that undergraduate systems vary, some go to more compeititive schools than others. So it is easier to get A's sometimes, but I am not trying to put down the person who posted that...but it is a possibility.

My friend didn't prepare enough and is a bad test-taker in high-pressure situations anyway. It has nothing to do with the undergrad because we have several people every year who get 35+ on their MCAT. We have one student who got a 39 on hers this cycle.

BCPM: 3.63
GPA: 3.51

MCAT #1: 26P (resulted in one waitlist)

MCAT #2: 28M ACCEPTANCE (3 Interviews to go)

3.6 GPA, 27Q

2 DO Acceptances out of 3 DO schools I interviewed at.

2 MD Interviews in which decisions don't come out till March so we will see.

Anything is possible!:)

29 N with a Big 6 in verbal.

Its not me but of the 4 people from my ugrad that have been accepted to my state school the last 2 years the scores were 25,25,25 and 23. And the 23 was an ORM so that was extra rare.

3.5 and 28O with an acceptance in pocket and an interview to go. I know of people who have been accepted to MD programs with as low as 24 and 25 scores. My school seems to have a great reputation in state and some people believe it gives an edge to applicants applying to in state med schools, but i am sure that is debatable.

I have a 3.76 GPA and 26O on the MCAT and got into my top choice MD school last week.

3.2 with a 32T, but I'm applying as an MD/PhD, thus far I've gotten 3 rejections, still waiting on everyone else (and still applying to more schools).

If there are any people reading this that are E-phys, think twice about your major with pre-med aspirations. You will be trained to think beyond what pre-med courses are teaching you, and thus can get into trouble on multiple choice tests.

i hope everyone is posting acceptances to MD programs... dont want to confuse people with DOs.

28R - relatively high GPA - decent ec- excepted EP to state school

i hope everyone is posting acceptances to MD programs... dont want to confuse people with PAs.

i hope everyone is posting acceptances to MD programs... dont want to confuse people with construction workers.

Chessknt87... what schools did you get accepted into btw.... i want to know if i applied to them.... Thanks

i hope everyone is posting acceptances to MD programs... dont want to confuse people with construction workers.

:thumbup:

Damn, and I was just about to post my acceptance to Uncle Bill's college of skills and crafts.

im glad everyone here equates DOs to constructions workers too :rolleyes:

This is not an MD vs DO thread. Both types of acceptances have been posted. Read through the thread and extract the information as you would an article or textbook. The spoonfeeding service is out of order, sorry.

how is it spoon-feeding? it's an allopathic forum but people in this thread (and past threads) have posted DO acceptances, which no one in an allopathic forum is interested in (at least not me). so it's not spoon-feeding, it's posting relevant information in a forum specific for one type of degree. i didnt want the thread to follow past threads where it was annoying to google every acronym to see if it was a DO or MD program

many of us arent familiar with all the acronyms of allopathic or osteopathic schools so it's a bit confusing when people post acceptances up without mentioning whether its MD or DO.

If its SOM stands for school of medicine. Only 1 DO school that I know of uses this acronym, UMDNJ. COM can stand for either college of medicine or college of osteopathic medicine. Most DO schools use COM.

Last edited:
If its SOM its usually an MD school. A lot of COMs are colleges of osteopathic medicine.

NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

COM ALSO DENOTES COLLEGE OF MEDICINE i.e. MD schools

USF, UF, UCF etc. would be called USF COM, UF COM, UCF COM.

aka College of Medicine rather then School of Medicine but are all MD schools.

What about the converse?

Anyone have a sub 3.4 gpa with a 30+ MCAT and get interviews or acceptances from allo schools?

My acceptance was to an MD school, and this quote is kind of ridiculous.... MD's are no better than PA's or DO's, just different preferences and/or priorities.

Last edited:
haha calm down people. i think most of us are kidding with DOs/PAs.

some people are uptight. and yes, usually SOM = MD and COM = DO but ive seen MD schools with COM so it's sorta confusing. there's one MD COM school in texas.

like a scientific paper and to be as clear as possible, i'd just rather people post MD or DO rather than the slightly ambiguous COM/SOM

This is/was a good thread. Please don't continue to destroy it with petty disagreements.

My acceptance was to an MD school, and this quote is kind of ridiculous.... MD's are no better than PA's or DO's, just different preferences and/or priorities.

I'm 99% sure.......wait no, 100% sure......that the poster you quoted was joking........

I think you misconstrued the reasoning behind my post.

My B. not trying to make petty arguments, I read it again and I definitely just misunderstood it the first time. Anyway, back to the main point of the post, there is definitely hope for you with a sub-30 MCAT if you have good EC and relatively decent GPA and do really well in your interview. Also, personally think LOR's are really important, ADCOM's can tell if it is just a standard letter that a professor substituted your name into or if they really know you and think you will be a great physician.