any academic jobs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

energy_girl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard of academic jobs where you work clinically there 6 months then do international work for the rest of the time? Or would such part-time arrangements exist only in community medicine? I love teaching and can't imagine being out of academics, but also want flexibility to travel and live out of the U.S.... Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with someone at UNM who does just this. She's in the US for half the year, and I think she worked with Doctors Without Borders the other half.

You can always negotiate more protected time and resources for international aid efforts. Certain university settings are more open to such things like George Washington University, Mayo Clinic, it sounds like UNM...but it is something you'll have to negotiate with the hospital. You may offer to take a larger night, weekends, holiday shift burden or something to compensate or something, or contract for more research or some other reimbursement to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always negotiate more protected time and resources for international aid efforts. Certain university settings are more open to such things like George Washington University, Mayo Clinic, it sounds like UNM...but it is something you'll have to negotiate with the hospital. You may offer to take a larger night, weekends, holiday shift burden or something to compensate or something, or contract for more research or some other reimbursement to them.

In community practice, you can always negotiate to work less and get compensated less. Is that an option open in academics? I would be happy to work half the year and get paid just to work that half of the year, then do something else the other time. How are academic contracts negotiated--is there usually this much flexibility, especially for the clinician-educator tracks?

Certain academic hospitals are willing to negotiate protected time, its easier if you have a niche that they need like ultrasound, EMS, or a strong research background. I have a friend who has extensive international experience and he was able to get protected time for medical adventures oversees :)

It's probably going to be very hard to set up and very hard to get into a group like this.

It would also almost certainly involve 0.5 pay, which might be problematic for benefits. In addition being at an academic shop and trying to actually be out of the country for 6 months would be tricky to pull off in terms of advancement/promotion. I am not aware of much significant literature being generated by international EM people -- there certainly isn't much in the journals.

This falls into the setting of a "fantasy job:" they may exist but you should not go into a career with this as your plan.

Amory Blaine hosted a great discussion on this topic in the past:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514318

What do you think energy girl?

Thanks for the link. Really interesting and good food for thought.

What I want to do abroad is not the international medicine that the thread referencing. And I'm willing to take half-pay, actually, to work half the year. I just want to be able to stay in academics (makes intl teaching a lot more credible, and I love teaching.....)