Any Advice Appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardiacGuy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
Just want to say that this site is wonderful. Anyway, I have been working in Cardiac Rehab for a couple of years and have been looking into PA and MD/DO programs. At first, I was interested in the PA profession, but as soon as I mentioned my interest to some of the residents and docs here at the hospital, they suggested I go to med school. Well, I'm already 31 (having served 5 years in the Marines) and feel I'm behind the eight ball as far as age is concerned. My big thing is I really don't see PA's practicing until they're 70 or so, like some docs do. Making a commitment to med school at this time is quite nerve wracking. Any advice on this? Thanks.

Doug

Members don't see this ad.

welcome. there are lots of older students here. Do a search and you will find some of the threads. There are also some lively discussions regarding PAs/NPs.

Try to remember the whole journey thousand miles first step thing. While there are points where you have to make a commitment along the road, you don't have to do that to get started. I know nothing about PA pre reqs but I would assume you will have to take some courses regardless of which way you choose to go. Work on taking the first step instead of seeing it as this great big gigantic goal. When I first started down this path I remember feeling the same way you are now and sometimes I still do. But the more I learned the more I realized the only thing that would limit me in my choices was my desire. Kind of corny but I believe it. Right along with "the joy isn't in reaching the top of the mountain but in noticing the flowers in the crevices on the climb up" or something like that. Try to have fun with it.

enough rambling. if you have more specific questions post em up. lots of people here like me like to talk.

good luck,

mj

Thanks for the advice, mj.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, 31 is not old. Secondly, DO programs love the non-traditional students...they see the age as a plus in experience not a minus. I, of couse, have a bias...I don't really like PA's, and I am graduating from medical school this year.
I say, why waste time being a PA when you can be the Physician? Age, time? It will be worth it.

Thanks Happy Clown,

My big thing with being v.not being a PA is I really don't see myself being satisfied with the job. PA's, just as MD's, practice medicine. I feel that I want to have the end say in health issues for people. Cardiac Rehab is a lot of behavior change for these patients if they want to stave off CHD. I really enjoy the art of telling people how to be healthy and change their lives. Seems to me that med school and being a MD is the way to go.
:)

Again, 31 is not old. Even if you will take a few years to complete the pre-req's and apply, there are students in my class who are older. I am biased but I think that older students have an advantage because we've experienced life beyond school and just have better understandings of who we are. Med school is a huge commitment, though, and you need to carefully evaluate what you want. It's expensive (public or private), it's intense, and it can be tough on relationships. However, it is also an amazing learning experience and I am really looking foward to being able to go in to practice (eventually). Would you be satisfied working as a PA ten years from now?
If you still need to take all of the pre-requisites, you might want to look into the formal post-baccalaurate programs. They can be pricey but some are faster than the regular courses and offer good advising services.

Truly, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're seeking a career to practice medicine with lesser time committed to school, then I think PA is a wonderful choice. However, you must also realize its' limitations which depend on the state that you want to work in or even the environment such as clinic or hospital since they all different policies, etc. Some PAs have great independence while others truly hold to the "assistant" title meaning that the physician that they work for has to always supervise. Again, if this is what you want, then go for it.

If you are someone who desires autonomy and feels comfortable with it, then DO or MD profession is better since it offers the total package in that you get to practice medicine individually and without limitations except those things that you are not qualified to do.

Regardless of what area you go into, all fields whether it be PA, NP, RN, DO or MD have their own important role in medicine and I'm glad you are committed in serving people. :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really get fired up when I speak to someone who is in or has already graduated from med school. It doesn't seem so overwhelming anymore.

I know you posted this a while ago, but just in case others are thinking about it, I thought I would give my opinion. I went back to school after working as a nurse for about 5 years. Many people discouraged me and I didn't know why. Now I know it wasn't personal, they just knew how tough it was going to be and I didn't. It is very hard to go back to school after having a job and an income and a life. It takes more dedication than you realize now. Think about a minimum of 7 years without an income. Can you really handle that? You could maybe work part time the first two years, but after that there is no way. You are also straddled with $120,000-180,000 in debt which in most cases you start paying back in residency, so you can kiss your little $32,000 income during residency goodbye. But the thing that is most difficult is the lack of control over your own life. You have no control over your days off, your work hours... The clinical years are like starting a new job every week, with new people, new code of conduct.. . You don't even have a place to put your coat when you come to work. Not to mention the constant testing. People pump you for information (pimping) ALL the time, and after every rotation there is an examination. Medicine has a very strong heirarchy and as a student you are at the very bottom. This can be very difficult to take when you are an adult person who is used to being treated with respect at work. I had considered the nurse practioner route, but rejected it because I felt I wouldn't know enough. I have to say I do have a much better knowledge base than I would have as a nurse practioner (somewhat similar to a PA), but I would be finished with my training by now, making almost as much money as a doctor with less liability and responsibility and not strapped with a triple figure debt! I'm not saying I regret going to medical school, but knowing what I know now I'm not sure if I would make the same decision. Besides, you never feel like you know enough. I'm sure in a few years I will feel like it was all worth it. Just think about it carefully before you make such a big sacrifice, because once you've dedicated a certain amount of time and money, there is no turning back. Best wishes.

erwannabe,

I realize exactly what you're talking about. Due to the fact that I'm married, I have spoken extensively with my wife about the finacial aspect of med school. The fact of going into debt so much scared the crap outta me. But, I look at is this way, it's really what I want to do- so it will be worth it in the end. I absolutely love helping people. The patient contact, seeing them make positive changes, recover, etc is so rewarding to me. My wife is 100% behind my decision, whatever that may end up being, so that leave it pretty much up to me. I think that my decision to finally set my mind to med school came this spring when my Dad was diagnosed with Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. I was really shocked with how little the docs in the hospital and even his medical oncologist actually spoke with my parents or gave them info. It was like pulling teeth- as my Dad would say. Well, I resolved that if I can go into medicine and just use effective communication skills with people, no matter how tough it may be to discuss a terminal condition with someone, that I would succeed at becoming a good doctor.

So, there you have it. A lot of my final decision is based on emotion, but I've been contemplating this for about a year, so it's not like I made it overnight. I realize it won't be easy, but anything worth doing will be hard.

Thanks for your insight on things.

Good for you. It sounds like you have given it a lot of thought, and I in no way intended to discourage you. Hey, I did it. I am halfway through my fourth year and beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. You having thought it through carefully and having great support at home will help you through the rough patches. Best wishes. ;)

semper fi douglas,

just wanted to reiterate that it's never too late...from a 37 yo MSIII. good luck.

Thanks guys. Also, it's not everyday that you run across someone who knows what "Semper Fidelis" signifies.

Hi Douglas!

I just wanted to post my 2 cents :)

I agree with everything er-wannabe said,but I have a different background - both of my parents are physicians and (by their standards) I had no other path in life but to go into medical school and become a physician too. I was so resentful and hated my fiirst 2 years of medical school with a passion. You are the lowest person on the totem pole and you receive little or no respect.

But now I am a resident and I see why they wanted me to be a physician. One has the power to do so much to "help" people - so much more than (I believe) other professions. Even though you will never know everything in medicine (that's impossible!), you will find what you enjoy best and contribute to so many lives in that discipline. Plus you will be afforded the respect (usually more but occasionally less) than you deserve. And it is possible that you will accrue heavy debt. But you know what? You will be a physician, and you will be able to handle it! You will never be starving as a physician.

The journey is worth it... You will be rewarded! Best of luck and please let me know if I can be of help ...

:)

Scrubs,

I try to keep looking on the "giving to other people" side of the issue. But, sometimes when the reality of med school hits (cost, possible physician satutation in practice, etc) the little doubts pop in to my head. I have made the decision to do it, so I just need to go for it.

Thanks for your input and advice- it is much appreciated.

Good luck yourself.

Originally posted by Douglas Biggs:
•Scrubs,

I try to keep looking on the "giving to other people" side of the issue. But, sometimes when the reality of med school hits (cost, possible physician satutation in practice, etc) the little doubts pop in to my head. I have made the decision to do it, so I just need to go for it.

Thanks for your input and advice- it is much appreciated.

Good luck yourself.•

Douglas,

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of the loan or physician saturation in Indiana. Neither are too bad by national standards. I am an older student and echo the above comments by the former nurse. It can be very difficult at 31. I know it's on a TV show, but at least 2 nurses on ER tried the premed route, then ended up quitting. It's not for the faint of heart. I don't want to discourage, but I would really think about it.

Woohoo, Indianaians. :) (I don't have much in life...)

BTW, being an Indiana resident may be advantageous since IU has a low applicant pool and large class. I think a 23 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA will get you an interview for a resident.

Alicia

I know it's on a TV show, but at least 2 nurses on ER tried the premed route, then ended up quitting.

What 2 nurses? I know that Carol tried the premed route, but Abby was actually in medical school and had to drop because of finances. Sorry to stray from the topic at hand.

hi to erwannabe, I am an er nurse..got my RN BSN 18years ago...got 1/2 way through a nurse practitioner program in 1996,..followed my heart and went through a postbac program..took this August MCAT...am waiting to hear about interviews (hopefully)...what an incredible process with this AMCAS application!!...I feel as though I spent precious MCAT study time getting the app online this summer while working full time...I hope it's worth it...first time on this site...I've been reading it for quite some time..you guys are all great...I feel as though Scooby is a distant relative or some such thing..good luck to all!!