Any advice for 2021-2022 cycle reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optom4eyes

Reaction score
hello i am a reapplicant for the 2021-2022 cycle. my cgpa is 2.78 and my bcp gpa is 3.35. my oat scores are 340TS/350AA. for optometric experience, i have been working at a private practice for about 1.5 years as an optometric assistant/scribe, have shadowed about 18 hours for pediatric optometry, had an informational interview with another private practice optometrist who completed a residency in vision therapy, and other various leadership/volunteer experiences throughout undergrad. i only have about 4-5 months until the next cycle opens. during that time, my only plans are to finish up my prereqs and continue working at my current position. what can i do to add onto my application? im worried that if they ask what i have done differently from the previous cycle that i will not have incorporated enough changes from my prev application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would ask the schools that you will be applying to about what you should specifically do to strengthen your application for the next cycle. That's what I did. The schools told me my OAT scores were the only thing holding me back and gave me an estimated score of what I should get. I scored the score they told me and got accepted to the 2 I applied for again. If I hadn't scored high enough I would've worked as an opto tech or retaken some science classes

Reactions: 1 user
Would suggest you also apply early! You may also want to revise your Statement. Make sure it stands out tailor your experiences well into it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hello i am a reapplicant for the 2021-2022 cycle. my cgpa is 2.78 and my bcp gpa is 3.35. my oat scores are 340TS/350AA. for optometric experience, i have been working at a private practice for about 1.5 years as an optometric assistant/scribe, have shadowed about 18 hours for pediatric optometry, had an informational interview with another private practice optometrist who completed a residency in vision therapy, and other various leadership/volunteer experiences throughout undergrad. i only have about 4-5 months until the next cycle opens. during that time, my only plans are to finish up my prereqs and continue working at my current position. what can i do to add onto my application? im worried that if they ask what i have done differently from the previous cycle that i will not have incorporated enough changes from my prev application.

Did you get rejected last cycle with that OAT? Or did you retake it recently. Because you sound like a shoo-in! From my experience all schools seem to care about is OAT.

Did you get rejected last cycle with that OAT? Or did you retake it recently. Because you sound like a shoo-in! From my experience all schools seem to care about is OAT
I only took the OAT once so yes those were the scores I applied with last cycle. i wont name schools but I did get interviews but was either rejected/waitlisted.