Any advice for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
30 year old Stepdown RN with 2 years experience, finishing up BSN in December. Anticipated cGPA around 3.7. I have general Chem, organic Chem, physics, and biochem left for prereqs. LSU NO hopeful. I am contracted at my hospital full-time until April 2019.

I'm currently volunteering at the coroners office performing autopsies (basically do everything. The pathologist just takes the body parts and assesses them).

And also volunteering at YMCA assisting teaching prediabetes education. (An old retired LPN teaches and offers advice to them, and I throw in advice as I see fit, and offer my professional opinion on their diets, exercise etc)

I prepare for Chem and physics classes in my spare time.

As you see, I already have a plan, but you never know what you don't know. Is there anything I should be thinking about, paying attention to, or doing that I am not already? I have no time to waste due to my age, and time on my GI Bill running shorter.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you've got all your ducks in a row! What's your plan for taking the MCAT?

Edited to add: See if your current undergrad has a pre-health committee for committee letter and if there is an application to be completed for them separate from the process. Also if you have a specific school in mind and are already local there's never a bad time to start networking - maybe by doing research or volunteering on campus?

Reactions: 1 users
Chem series take a long time to get through, something like 2 years

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chem series take a long time to get through, something like 2 years
Well Chem 1 and 2 and O Chem 1 and 2, I was thinking I could take courses over the summer before my first fall semester (I'll be done with my contract in April), and then between that winter and the next fall.

Any problems with that?

Seems like you've got all your ducks in a row! What's your plan for taking the MCAT?

Edited to add: See if your current undergrad has a pre-health committee for committee letter and if there is an application to be completed for them separate from the process. Also if you have a specific school in mind and are already local there's never a bad time to start networking - maybe by doing research or volunteering on campus?
What do you mean exactly? I'm doing RN to BSN which is an online only thing.

I'm hoping to get into LSUHSC NO, Im wanting to go to their workshop this month.

So most programs require what's called a committee letter or a letter packet in which they take all of your LORs and make a composite letter that highlights your best qualities. If you don't have a pre-health committee through your current program there are sometimes additional steps you need to take such as additional LORs or a statement explaining why you don't have one.

So most programs require what's called a committee letter or a letter packet in which they take all of your LORs and make a composite letter that highlights your best qualities. If you don't have a pre-health committee through your current program there are sometimes additional steps you need to take such as additional LORs or a statement explaining why you don't have one.
Non med school related programs? I've never met any of my instructors so I don't know what they can really say other than "he submitted all of his assignments on time and got all As!"

Well Chem 1 and 2 and O Chem 1 and 2, I was thinking I could take courses over the summer before my first fall semester (I'll be done with my contract in April), and then between that winter and the next fall.

Any problems with that?
It could be tight, doing all this and working full time. If you take Gen Chem 1 & 2 over the summer they're going to be jam packed (lectures probably 4 days per week for 3 hours and 2 labs per week). That's the only way you could get organic done next year and be ready to apply next cycle (May 2019). You'll have to take physics and organic chem this coming academic year together with both of their labs while you're working full time, that will be very challenging. Are you planning to take organic chem 2? or just Biochem?

Either way you have fantastic experiences that will look good on your application, but I think you are rushing it to apply in the May 2019 cycle. That could lead to grades that would permanently hurt your chances. If I were you, I'd make my goal to apply in May 2020, that way you could take the MCAT in summer 2019 with study time dedicated to that and then do lots of constructive pre-med things over that free year after you're out of your hospital contract... I took the MCAT the same summer I applied and it made me late and in my opinion hurt my chances. You really want to have your application complete by June. I also would venture to say that taking two lab courses while working and also trying to study for the MCAT on time for the 2019 cycle will be impossible. Do the right thing and apply in two years and you will be well-rewarded by the results!

Things look promising for you!

Reactions: 1 user
I plan on reducing hours to prn working 2-4 shifts per month once I'm finished with my contract. I may shadow or volunteer. And I won't be applying for 2019. I'm still finishing up my online bachelors now, I finish in December and then finish contract April 2019, and that summer begin working on my postbac/prereqs
It could be tight, doing all this and working full time. If you take Gen Chem 1 & 2 over the summer they're going to be jam packed (lectures probably 4 days per week for 3 hours and 2 labs per week). That's the only way you could get organic done next year and be ready to apply next cycle (May 2019). You'll have to take physics and organic chem this coming academic year together with both of their labs while you're working full time, that will be very challenging. Are you planning to take organic chem 2? or just Biochem?

Either way you have fantastic experiences that will look good on your application, but I think you are rushing it to apply in the May 2019 cycle. That could lead to grades that would permanently hurt your chances. If I were you, I'd make my goal to apply in May 2020, that way you could take the MCAT in summer 2019 with study time dedicated to that and then do lots of constructive pre-med things over that free year after you're out of your hospital contract... I took the MCAT the same summer I applied and it made me late and in my opinion hurt my chances. You really want to have your application complete by June. I also would venture to say that taking two lab courses while working and also trying to study for the MCAT on time for the 2019 cycle will be impossible. Do the right thing and apply in two years and you will be well-rewarded by the results!

Things look promising for you!

I plan on reducing hours to prn working 2-4 shifts per month once I'm finished with my contract. I may shadow or volunteer. And I won't be applying for 2019. I'm still finishing up my online bachelors now, I finish in December and then finish contract April 2019, and that summer begin working on my postbac/prereqs
Ah I see, my recommendation is basically still the same. If you’re able to be a full time student for a year, take gen chem 1/2 next summer and orgo 1/Phys 1 in the fall and biochem/orgo 2 with Phys 2 in the spring, biochem is very important. Study for the MCAT during the whole spring and try to take it early summer 2020, like in April or May. Then I hope to hear good news for you

Ah I see, my recommendation is basically still the same. If you’re able to be a full time student for a year, take gen chem 1/2 next summer and orgo 1/Phys 1 in the fall and biochem/orgo 2 with Phys 2 in the spring, biochem is very important. Study for the MCAT during the whole spring and try to take it early summer 2020, like in April or May. Then I hope to hear good news for you
8 hours of Chem over a summer isn't pushing it too hard?

8 hours of Chem over a summer isn't pushing it too hard?
It could be, it will be rigorous at the least. I know people who have done organic 1/2 over the summer, but I don’t know if they did the lab at the same time or later. If you want to get all of that work done in 1 year, that’s your only option imho because gen chem 2 has to be taken before organic 1 as far as I’ve seen.
If you’re willing to apply in May 2021 then your options are much more broad.

Consult your academic and pre-med advisor for school-specific advice on this. Also, if you’re interested, DO programs seem to be very non-grad friendly.