Any advice for my NYMC interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.... next week I have my NYMC interview, I was wondering if anyone had any advice at all about the questions they ask or any beneficial tips on the interview process? or any student hosts that are good to talk to prior to the interview?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

what day are you interviewing? i'll be there thursday.

I'll be there on Wednesday,

Wow.... Thursday is the last day of interviews.... I think that in some ways its better to interview on the very last day, as you leave an impression on the committee (ie they won't forget you). I would have taken Thursday but due to my work I took the Wednesday.

Anyhow, you staying with a student host?

Members don't see this ad :)
Briefly its set up like this ---> intro by admissions staff, fin aid discussion, and student (M4) talk with Q/A. This is all to the group. Then you have either some downtime first (check out a class or talk to students) and an interview or vice versa. Then tour with M1 and M2 and lunch. That's it. Pick the brain of the students as much as you can, they really can help you the most and the admissions staff and everyone is very nice. Hope you enjoy yourself.

hypersting said:
Briefly its set up like this ---> intro by admissions staff, fin aid discussion, and student (M4) talk with Q/A. This is all to the group. Then you have either some downtime first (check out a class or talk to students) and an interview or vice versa. Then tour with M1 and M2 and lunch. That's it. Pick the brain of the students as much as you can, they really can help you the most and the admissions staff and everyone is very nice. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Right on! :thumbup:

Good luck!

the day is pretty well organized and you see pretty much all you want to see. the only thing that sucks is that at around 9:30 they give you your interview assignments and you have the possibility of having a 9:45 interview. It's kind of startling. Oh, and for me, the second thing that sucked was realizing that i had another interview assignment sheet attached to the back of the first one and it was for an interview immediately after. it was really strange. i didn't get the luxury of the vice versa option. i was the only person out of about 10 who had 2 interviews. in fact, i don't think i've ever heard of anyone else having 2 interviews. i'm sure there has been, but i haven't heard of it. alas, i got waitlisted. i'd like very much to get in though. i think it's a fantastic school. good luck!

I interviewed there on 2/19. My interviewer asked a series of questions from a list. Everyone in my group seemed to have been asked the same questions. Some questions included: "What's the dumbest thing you've ever done?" "Are there any red flags in your application that you would like to tell me about?" and, of course the "why do you want to be a doctor" question.

Know your application, know yourself as an applicant, and be prepared to talk about it. I always found that the best thing to do was to thoughtfully and assertively present the type of person you are and what your ambitions and interests are. If you're comfortable with yourself and what you want, you should be able to talk your way through any interview without a problem.

Good luck

medstylee said:
the day is pretty well organized and you see pretty much all you want to see. the only thin 5hq5 sucks is that at around 9:30 they give you your interview assignments and you have the possibility of having a 9:45 interview. It's kind of startling. Oh, and for me, the second thing that sucked was realizing that i had another interview assignment sheet attached to the back of the first one and it was for an interview immediately after. it was really strange. i didn't get the luxury of the vice versa option. i was the only person out of about 10 who had 2 interviews. in fact, i don't think i've ever heard of anyone else having 2 interviews. i'm sure there has been, but i haven't heard of it. alas, i got waitlisted. i'd like very much to get in though. i think it's a fantastic school. good luck!

You only get two interviews if its a new person on the adcom (their adcom is huge apparently) or if a student is interviewing you for one of them.

I got my waitlist today --> We should start a club ... NU NYMC Waitlisters .. haha :)

simple yet effective- try not to be nervous. that was the best advice i got :)
and like the other guy said, know your app in and out

Thanks so much for everyone's advice it has been much appreciated

The last thing I'm debating about is if I should drive to NY (from Toronto, Canada) or take a plane.... lol driving is around 8hrs.... well we'll see......

Anyhow,

Thanx all....... you're all terrific.