Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone..
Just looking for some advice on anesthesia management for placenta increta/percreta. I have a case coming up on Tuesday, 30 y/o F G3P2 s/p C/S x 2 who now has a placenta increta/percreta (confirmed by MRI) invading through the myometrium to the bladder (either adherent or possibly invading into the bladder). Fortunately the patient is thinnish (BMI 27) with no other PMH. The current OB plan is for IR IIAOBC followed by C/S&C-hyst.
Anyone have any experience with these kind of cases? How much blood should I prepare for this case? Would you do MAC/sedation for the IR part or how about spinal narcotics? I'm thinking GETA for the C/S, C-hysterectomy as there can be heavy bleeding and blood transfusions leading to respiratory compromise requiring an airway anyways. I'm also thinking about avoiding epidural because of the risk of DIC postop leading to an epidural hematoma (I have already experienced a case of epidural hematoma as a resident and would like to avoid a repeat experience). My plan for monitors are A-line, Cordis, and 2 large bore PIV's preinduction. Will then do a RSI with a Glidescope. Thanks in advance for any input with this case. I haven't had the fortune of doing a placenta accreta case before so would appreciate any advice.
Just looking for some advice on anesthesia management for placenta increta/percreta. I have a case coming up on Tuesday, 30 y/o F G3P2 s/p C/S x 2 who now has a placenta increta/percreta (confirmed by MRI) invading through the myometrium to the bladder (either adherent or possibly invading into the bladder). Fortunately the patient is thinnish (BMI 27) with no other PMH. The current OB plan is for IR IIAOBC followed by C/S&C-hyst.
Anyone have any experience with these kind of cases? How much blood should I prepare for this case? Would you do MAC/sedation for the IR part or how about spinal narcotics? I'm thinking GETA for the C/S, C-hysterectomy as there can be heavy bleeding and blood transfusions leading to respiratory compromise requiring an airway anyways. I'm also thinking about avoiding epidural because of the risk of DIC postop leading to an epidural hematoma (I have already experienced a case of epidural hematoma as a resident and would like to avoid a repeat experience). My plan for monitors are A-line, Cordis, and 2 large bore PIV's preinduction. Will then do a RSI with a Glidescope. Thanks in advance for any input with this case. I haven't had the fortune of doing a placenta accreta case before so would appreciate any advice.
They then did a C/S, left placenta, sewed up the uterus, and shipped mom off to the antepartum floor for nonoperative management. We had belmont, lines, blood, the whole shebang ready to go during the C/S, but didn't need any of it since they left the placenta alone. She lost about 750, had no additional bleeding, and per the OB's she probably won't even end up going to IR for embolization, she may get methotrexate to help things along. They're going to wait a bit for it to involute and then come back for a hysterectomy. I thought it was an interesting management approach I was completely unfamiliar with, but seems to have worked extremely well thus far for this patient.