Any advice for Temple interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MYDDSDREAM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would appreciate if anyone could furnish advice or what to expect on a Temple interview. Best Regards!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi myddsdream,

I interviewed there last year and I can tell you that it is great!. Mark Lombard is an awesome guy! During the presentation they emphasize alot that their goal is to make students that "master" the clinical aspects of dentistry. I am a minority and noticed that when they divided us into groups, my group contained three applicants (all minority) and the interviewer was also a minority. I did not mind this at all just in case, but thought it was kind of funny. Anyways, they asked us the basic questions of "why a dentist".......what do we think of the HMOs and how do we plan to finance our education. The school itself is nice and it seems like they have a strong clinical program. However, I didn't like much the neighborhood it was in. Hope I could help.

:wink:

Myddsdream,

Congrats on a Temple interview! I interviewed there on 2-8-02 and I had a great experience. If you do a "search" in this forum by typing in "TEMPLE", you will find a lot of good info on our interview experiences and facts. I wish you the best of luck and you will be impressed! Mark Lombard (admissions coordinator) is both entertaining and informative!

:cool:

I have not heard from them yet, I wondering what's going on.... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all your input, I sincerely appreciate it. Best of luck in all of your academic endeavors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey myddsdream....
yeah...you just need to be yourself and don't be intimidated b/c there are probably gonna be a lot of people there (like 25 at my interview) but yeah...I wouldn't get too worried about the "presentation" that you are supposed to have prepared....when I interviewed it was pretty much like what myra said with the standard questions and all. Just interact with the others and yeah...just have fun with it...
-Andy
p.s. may want to watch the karate kid before you go ...=o)....as you'll run into Mark "mr. myagi" Lombard...=o)

MYDDSDREAM, when are you interviewing? My interview is on March 15, maybe I will see you there. I am getting pretty excited, the more I learn about Temple the more I want to go there. What other schools have you been looking at. I am supposed to interview at NOVA in April but if I get into Temple I might pass on the NOVA interveiw. I heard Temple produces some of the most confident dentists when compared to other schools, just opinons from ppl who go there. I recently asked the admissions office to give me emails of a few current students I could talk to and they have pretty much convinced me that Temple is the place to be. Don't worry about security too much, unless you plan walk around alot at night (past midnight according to the current students.)

Hope this helps! I am real excited about the interview, but in my app packet I got a notice saying that they might be full and this interview may only be for wait list spots, damn! I can still hope :)

Vikas,

When was your interview letter dated? I'm curious on when Temple told you that they "might be full"? When I talked to them on Friday, March 8, 2002, Terry (secretary) told me that they STILL only have 95 deposites => 25 seats available. I'm thinking that Temple stated that they might be full in their interview invites because by the time you interview on Friday, March 15, 2002, Dean Lisa Deem may have already signed more acceptance recommendations from the admissions committee and people will start to send in their seat security deposites (filling that 25 available seats that are left).

I want to say that, at this time, there are probably at least 30-50 application files (people that have already interviewed) that the admissions committee are marking and writting for acceptance recommendations to the Dean. I interviewed on 2-8-02 and my application is still in there with the admissions committee for review!

Here's how it works, you go do your interview, if your file is complete at that time, then your file will go into the admissions committee for review/markings after your interview (all 13 members will jot down their opinions of you being a successful student at Temple). This process will take up to a month or more (they take their sweet old time on this)! And then the already marked applications will make it to the Dean Deem's desk and she'll pick which ones will be accepted. As I mentioned before, it's all up to Dean Deem! If 13 admissions committee members do like you, but for some reason that Dean Deem does not, guess what, you won't be going to Temple! On the flip side, if the admissions committee marked badly of you and Dean Deem thinks highly of you, you'll be accepted!

Let me know when you got your interview invite letter! Good luck at your Temple interview! :cool:

Yah-ZZZ the letter is dated March 1, 2002. That seems like quite the application procedure...I hope they do not fill up too quickly as I really do want to attend. How do 13 ppl rate you, I thought you only interview with one or two faculty/admissions ppl? Do 13 ppl simply go over you application or do you actually interact with them? Thanks for the input.

- Vikas

Yah-ZZZ one more question-

Do you actually get to meet the Dean during the interview?

- Vikas

Vikas,

The 13 admissions committee members we as applicants do not meet or interact with during our interview day. If you do get to meet them, you will not know that they're admissions committee members!

The "getting admitted process" was explained to me by our dear Mr. Mark Lombard during my interview. The 13 admissions committee members does include some current dental students! I have no idea how the 13 admissions committee members rated me or what they marked on my application! All that was done after my interview day. But I do know this, the three 4th-year dental students that interviewed me did email me to tell me that I would be a great candidate to add to Temple. So I know that I've made a great impression to my interviewers. Now out of those three 4th-year dental students that interviewed me, some of them may be on the committee or they could be not at all. I really don't know! Only thing that I know about them is that one of them is #1 in their class, the other one is #2 in their class, and the third one is the President of the Student Counsil. I really hope that I get in as well!! If I may be of any further help, let me know! :cool:

Meeting Dean Deem, you usually can, but you'll have to make an effort, I think! Unfortunately, she wasn't in on my interview day, she was on her 1 week vacation while I was there! But her and I keep in touch quite often. If she's in, you should be able to meet her. If she's not scheduled in the interview day, you should make an effort to introduce yourself to her once your done with your interview day.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I really hope NOVA or Temple pans out for you :) You should list the student forums as proof of your dedication to the profession and your desire to help others :clap: