Any advice on what to tell Adcomm's about C's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoSteveSquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got two C+'s (one in o-chem and one in a chem lab), and am applying right now. Should I bother explaining them in secondaries, or not call attention to the bad grades?

Basically, my whole soph. year sucked my parents got divorced, I went to work, and I partied too much (I might want to leave that part out in the interview :D ) Despite that, my overall is competitive and my MCATs are strong.

Anyhow, from your experiences, is it worth mentioning an explanation for the bad grades? or do I wait for them to ask on interviews (if I get 'em)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't write about them...these admissions committees don't want to hear about "excuses" for mediocre grades, even if they are valid. (Grades of D or F, should be explained, however!)

You're much better off explaining it in the interview. (if they ask!)

(I got in with 3 C+'s and many B-s)

Don't bring it up in your secondaries.

If you are asked about it in your interviews, be honest. I applied with a few C's on my record, and basically said I was too immature to handle college, and my academics reflected it. I got a better handle on things in the following years, again, as is shown in my academic record. Don't try to BS them or give them a sob story. Honesty and sincerity will get you much further. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
TwoSteveSquared,

ask yourself this, they are screening what is it 2000+ applicants, and with amcas being late, they are more pressured for time. Having said that, u think they are going to go over each and every single grade in the class...they might in the interview, then have a good reply...

however, if I were you, I wouldn't bring attention to it...if it ain't broke don't fix it....I think they look at the overall trend from year to year....hope that helps :D

Man, don't bother explaining it as the above posters stated. Trend is important. I had a "C" in Pre-Calculus, but it was irrelevant to the "A's" I got in Calc. Man, it can come up. I got another "C" my junior year in a liberal arts class and my interviewer brought it up. I pointed out that my overall trend in GPA always shot back up after lapses in GPA becauses of the "C's", and if anything, an upward trend would continue in medical school. Anyways, I'm sure your later classes like biochem or something made up for your O.Chem grades in any case. Don't sweat it. Peace. - wyldstyle2000

Thanks for the posts. I'll be sure not send any red flags to AdComms.

Hey Steve,
You're talking about bad grades, I've had enough C's on my undergrad record, and in general enough blunders to turn-off any admission committee. I've persevered allright and am starting at UC school this fall. Remember, that less then perfect results never define a person, this is a part of a process of learning that we all go through. Ideal gpa's as well as ideal people do not exist, this is just that an absurd idea proffered to us by the mean-spirited pedagogues. Always, emphasize your strengths, never your weaknesses(Frankly, this is another perverse conception --that an applicant is supposed to aknowledge his "lack of strength" in order to appear "objective or honest" -utter non-sense. :D Good luck.

Hey!
I was wondering about those C's. They have bothered me for two semesters now. I'm usually an A,B , student but for the last two semesters it has been a total drag. You name it and most of it happened. Including my house catching fire and burning all the electricle out of it. Try studying in the
dark some time. I was even thinking about retaking a few coarses. Biology for one.
It's good too hear that I am not alone.
Patty :confused:

Zhenka,

Which UC are you going to? And exactly how many C's did you have on your transcript? I am just wondering what my chances of getting into a UC, ( I have 3 C's) Thanks! and Good Luck in Med-school!

Thanks Zhenka, made feel lots better :)

Hopefully I'll be joining you next year in school.

What UC do you go too?

Hey guys, TwoSteveSquared and Harbindoc, I'm only too happy that I can be helpful to you. Come on ppl, we're in the same pot! We're fighting for the same ideals, and hopefully share similar aspirations - to make the best of this profession.. Idealism aside.. I'm starting at Davis, and yes one could surmise, I've had to apply more than once. But in my simple mind the process had never mattered what mattered was my view own philosophy of life. You know, to put it crudely, the road of earning yourself a place in MedSchool is a vicious process, You know what it's like. And oftentimes, in an attempt "to select the best" we get an unfortunate tendency to dissuade really good and capable people, who could make excellent doctors. If there was anything I could change, in their process I would erase prior "failures" upon "retake" of a class, and I would place that more emphasis on an interview and human side of a person than there is today. The concept of competing with oneself is useful to one's emotional and professional growth; the competition in professional setting is a code of life in our western world; but the "cut-throat competition" among medical students is a "wrong, misplaced" idea. We're all-- a family, we've chosen this path for good or for bad b/c we share the same ideals. And whatever we make it of it, we're the servants for the People and we're their guardians. Of anything in else in life, you won't find a more rewarding and noble profession…
You see, I've always refused to compete with Others, only with Myself.. At interviews, and I've had a few (something like a dozen) there were certain types of questions that I despised.. but in retrospect about my performance, I've had it all, an "F" in my first semester of O Chem, a plethora of C's and on the whole enough "excellence and premed appeal" that when I went to see an academic advisor at Cal (I did my undergrad at Berkeley) he looked at me with a quiet fascination and inimplicitly hinted that I would only be Smart to consider other occupations besides medicine. I cared not in the least, for his words, nor the words of others –the whole academic community, the Berkeley faculty, or the whole world combined, ..I've never in my life allowed others to tell me what I'm capable or not to be. I've simply never cared for what they thought… I was on a quest of my own, the rest hardly mattered. And had I been rejected two hundred times instead of a hundred times result would've been the same. So, yeah I guess it helped that I had attempted too much at Bereley-- like awful hours in the lab and tutoring O-chem to others, which had impacted my own academic performance, for the simple fact that there are only 24hrs in a fricken day…But please, believe me , you will always have a chance to compensate for the prior misdeeds by later improvements…the medical committees respect strong people and they respect determination in all of us, this is by far the dominant quality of a future doctor… The kinds of questions I've had to address in the interviews,.. I've had it all : the seeming weaknesses in my academic record, the please explain why you're any good questions, why you're applying here for the second time, when we've got thousands of capable candidates applying today and so forth you name it. Interviewfeedback.com is an excellent source as well as these forums to acquire a taste of what it's like. You see, I've never moped with interviewers about my "lacks of strength" , I've never "compared myself to other applicants" even when the interviewers pushed I only spoke about myself. I told them simply, "I hope you find responsive, open-minded, noble people to admit to your medical school; and if you decide that my classmate who's in the hallway with me waiting to be interviewed is better able to answer those objectives, I'd be the very first person to withdraw my application and tell you that he's First!" Also, I've never yielded to interviewers' imbecilic querries about "objective weaknesses" in your character. I had took issue with the way it's phrased, for it had appeared nothing less than perverse to suggest that one is "objective in recounting what he did "wrong" in life" Don't you think that there isn't anything more preposterous than the notion that in recounting your mistakes somehow you acquire motivation to move foreward.. How many battles were lost by Caesar and how many stones where laid into bricks before we heard about the Greatness of Rome. People grow through learning and their mistakes, but to emphasize the later and say thay your "insufficiency"defines your character, to me had appeared nothing less than perverse.. Believe in Yourself, for anything they tell you, your "weaknesses" are actually strengths, and if you have made it this far in your studies I'm confident you will succeed.
Sorry, it had come out so lengthy…if there's anything specific I could offer please let me know. You Will make it!

Zhenka, I would be more than honored to have you as my personal physician!!!best wishes in med school!!...i share your exact sentiments...

Originally posted by Zhenka:
[QB]I?ve never in my life allowed others to tell me what I?m capable or not to be. I?ve simply never cared for what they thought? I was on a quest of my own, the rest hardly mattered. And had I been rejected two hundred times instead of a hundred times result would?ve been the same.

Thank you, Zhenka, for expressing what I also believe to be true.

Our patients will struggle with issues and problems that have much more gravity than whether or not one makes a few C's in college, or even gets into the field of their choice. I know I am already in awe at the grace and strength my own mom has shown while dealing with her own illness - my C's and my stress about how adcoms will view my "weaknesses" are a joke compared to what she goes through every day just to live. Regardless of what my GPA is, I am blessed to have the opportunity to go to a great college and attempt to follow my own dreams. In the face of my mother's struggle, I feel actual SHAME when I start to obsess on what I lack, as compared to others.

One day, whether we are all in med school or not, what we are going through now will seem small compared to what we will probably all face - the death of a loved one or a patient, knowing that we can do nothing to alleviate the suffering of a patient, trying to keep our families and marriages together, a crisis of faith in God or humanity. I guess what I'm trying to say is - keep it all in perspective. If you have the will to be a physician, more than likely you'll be one.

Thanks again, Zhenka, for the reminder.

A soon to be Berkeley alum,

Nanon

Thanks zhenka! I really appreciate your response! It gives me hope for my future as a physician!!

:D :D :D :D

If it makes you feel better...I got STRAIGHT C's in Chemistry and O-Chem. That's right, FOUR of 'em (actually, one was a C+...but still)!!! I did get A's in all my labs (not that the adcom's care about labs much) AND I got an A in Biochem I & II...those DID help! Now the rest of my transcript was stellar and I ended up graduating with a great GPA, so I guess that helped cover them up a bit. The point is that you CAN get C's, even in REALLY important classes, and still get into good schools! Don't stress too much about them and just concentrate on your future grades!

Good Luck!
:)

PS- Despite all my fears, not a SINGLE interviewer asked me about those grades...

Isn't it sad when we think that C's are "bad" grades...what a bunch of Type A overacheivers we are!!!

:D

Zhenka,
That was such an insightful post. I'm glad people like you will be the physicians of tomorrow. You also made me feel lots better.

Best of Luck,
Steve

:)

From what I am hearing in these post, although MeDschool admission is competitive...it doesn't seem to be as hard as everyone tries to make it seem.....is that true? or are some people with below average marks just lucky? or is it hard if you only apply to top schools, or schools at which you are in the norm?

"In the midst of adversity, lies opportunity." -Albert Einstein

"If you're gonna fall...fall on your back, because if you can look up, you can get up." -Les Brown

"I learn by Osmosis." - Garfield

Don'y kid yourself psycho, it really is that competitive. don't let your guard down :D