Any advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alyssa21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm applying this year as a senior with a pretty low gpa - its a 3.2. I have an ok MCAT score- a 34 (12,12,10,Q). The rest of my application is pretty strong too, although nothing exceptional. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on which medical schools I could have a shot at realistically, or even if I do a have a shot. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you have a shot. Look for schools that have lower average GPAs. Your MCAT is smokin, so that will help. Hype yourself to high hell. If it doesn't work out, take a few easy bio/phys/chem etc classes to boost that sGPA. My best to you. --Trek

Going off numbers alone, yup, you have a shot. It is supposedly preferable to have a high MCAT and low GPA rather than vice versa because the MCAT is standardized and levels the playing field. No need to worry because you've certainly proven yourself there. Buy a copy of the MSAR and check out what schools have average MCAT/GPAs close to yours. Don't forget to apply to a range of schools: some upper tier, a lot withing your grasp, and some backup and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say that the MSAR will give you a lot of help in picking out schools which you have a shot at

34 is not just an "okay" score. It's AMAZING! Now is it amazing enough to make up for your GPA? Remains to be seen...but definitely worth a try.

Yup,that's the whole problem.If I had a better GPA, I would be psyched with my MCAT score. But I'm worried that it won't be good enough to level the field for me. Anyone have any suggestions as to where specifically I would have a shot? I was looking at the MSAR but a lot of schools seem to not list their average GPA so I'm at a loss to find ones with lower averages. btw,thanks for the encouraging comments! I now have hope! :) :) :) :) :D

Originally posted by praying4MD:
•Going off numbers alone, yup, you have a shot. It is supposedly preferable to have a high MCAT and low GPA rather than vice versa because the MCAT is standardized and levels the playing field. •

actually i've heard the exact opposite, and the experiences of older friends have exemplified this. those with great gpa's but lower MCATs have fared much, much better than those with lower gpa's but high MCATs. i guess the reasoning about 'leveling the playing field' doesn't always apply, and i've been told that it can be seen the opposite way too, that if you're capable of pulling off a high MCAT score, then the perception may be that you've been slacking all through college. the MCAT measures one day, while your grades are four years-worth of effort. just something to think about, and it goes to show you that there are no 'rules' to this process. just keep plugging away, alyssa, and you'll be fine.

I sure hope you're right sandflea because that would help my chances greatly. Some more experienced members on the board have always told me that a high MCAT can do wonders for your chances, while a high GPA really can't do much for a mediocre MCAT. Anyway, who knows what goes on behind the closed doors of adcoms' meetings? The main thing is to keep all facets of the application in check. Don't forget about extracurrics. Do things that interest you, not just to pad your application and you should be on your way to med school soon. Good luck.

Hey Alyssa, I have the same problem as you, same gpa and slightly better MCAT score -- see my post about this at Low gpas. . . After all these posts on this thread, I am more confused than ever about the extent to which a good MCAT score can offset a low gpa. I agree with Sandflea on the view that our mcat/gpa indicates that we're intelligent slackers, which doesn't bode well for us. For that reason I'm doing a year of additional coursework before applying to show an improvement and some dedication. What do people think-- is it enough? Or will our undergrad gpa's haunt us for life?

Sigh,now I am confused again :(
Anyway, I am applying for next year's cycle. I am currently a senior and I hope to get into a one years masters program for the coming year. I have no idea whther this will help me but I guess all I can do is cross my fingers and hope the randomness of medical school admissions hits me and I get in SOMEWHERE. :) the rest of my application is pretty strong so hopefully i can get an interview somewhere.