Any Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rallthenamesgon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to work part-time for an OD this summer and I would like to know how any of you went about finding and obtaining a job. My regular OD works for the VA so he can't really hire me. Can anyone offer any helpful advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, 69 reads and no replies.

Honestly, I've seen a couple of ads in the online local classifides. I'm already employed by an OD so I didn't go through the whole process.

ALSO, try going to a couple of places, applying in person... or call around. (yellowpages.com)

What have you done so far?

try the jobs section on craigslist in your area. just type in "optometry" or something.

GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have a network system in which they are constantly in contact with job outlook firms once you graduate. However, once you are board certified in a particular state, your mail gets flooded with job offers (at least this is what other optometrists i've worked for tell me).

Well, 69 reads and no replies.

Honestly, I've seen a couple of ads in the online local classifides. I'm already employed by an OD so I didn't go through the whole process.

ALSO, try going to a couple of places, applying in person... or call around. (yellowpages.com)

What have you done so far?

Well I was trying to take the networking approach to getting a job. So far I got some recommendations from my OD to work at LensCrafters and a private practice that he knows people at. The problem is I didn't really want to do sales, but I filled an applications at LensCrafters for lab work and hopefully I'll have luck with that.

Well I was trying to take the networking approach to getting a job. So far I got some recommendations from my OD to work at LensCrafters and a private practice that he knows people at. The problem is I didn't really want to do sales, but I filled an applications at LensCrafters for lab work and hopefully I'll have luck with that.

You should take the sales job.

Fact is, optometry has a substantial retail component. Not only could you learn something valuable that will help you in the future, you will also get an inside look at how your future competition operates.

I think you are going to have a hard time finding part time summer work if you are looking to get paid for it. Most optometrists office are less busy in the summer, not more. In addition to that, in order to properly train someone to work in an office even with limited duties takes a fair amount of time. By the time you get adequately trained to contribute anything to an office, you'll be heading off to school.

First, find out what type of LensCrafters this is. And by type, is the Doctor independent of Lenscrafters? Sometimes, the primary doctor will hire techs- aka NO SALES (The techs are paid by the doctor rather than LensCrafters). This would be ideal.

If the lenscrafters is "modified", then the techs will be working on the sales floor as well... As long as you get to work on the clinical side and not strictly on the sales floor, I think that this would be okay.

To everyone who replied, thanks for all of the advice. I will keep all of this in mind while I continue my job search.

I am also looking for a opto summer job!! well for me so far, i applied to 6 places, got 3 interviews... no words yet... but is it smart for me to say "i want to work as long as possible, if my school schedule allows me" ?

I am also looking for a opto summer job!! well for me so far, i applied to 6 places, got 3 interviews... no words yet... but is it smart for me to say "i want to work as long as possible, if my school schedule allows me" ?

That's a good question. I would like to work for as long as possible (if I ever get hired) as long as my school schedule permits, and my grades don't suffer. If worst comes to worst and my grades start to slip then at least I will have had the experience and created relationships.

Talk to your own OD to see if any of his/her OD colleagues are hiring or would potentially hire a great candidate.